Light-O-Rama Forums

Switching from S4 to S5

Mr. P

Like Jr and Dennis, I too, am staying with S4 {ver. 4.4.4} and doubt I'll ever go beyond it..  S5 may have more features and enhancements, but I just found it too dad-blasted confusing to set up a simple LED light strand, let alone an RGB strand.   I could never get anything to work or set up in S5 when I tried it. 

I don't even use the Pixel Editor{PE} that was added to S4, why?  Because it is basically a pre-cursor to S5, and I found the PE just as dad-blasted confusing and frustrating to try and use.  I could never get anything set up in it to work, I tried, I read documents, looked at whatever videos were out here, and I still could not get any of my RGB Controllers or 10 RGB 50ct strands set up in the dad-blasted PE.  

So I stay with the S4 Sequence Editor {SE}, I understand it, it is larger than the sequencing screens in either S5 or the PE in S4.  And yes, I made the screens larger, but that just made it all the more difficult to get them to work.   So S4 and the SE are what I'm staying with, if S5 ever has an SE like the prior versions to it {which I doubt will or is going to happen}, then I might reconsider it.   But as it stands, I'm staying with S4.

I always tried to update to the newest LOR Software Suite, but S5 has just made everything far too complex, at least for me.   This is also the first time I have ever encountered a LOR Product {S5} I really do not like at all.

I've been using s5 since beta, and I personally think it's a great piece of software. Contrary to many views here I actually found it much more intuitive than s4. The integration of the old "pixel editor" in to the new main sequencer alone was worth the switch. I also love how the new previews work. If anyone is new to this hobby I would always recommend starting with s5; especially if you use pixels.

• Like 1

S5 is becoming like Xlight instance sequences just cut and past wave left then wave right I look at xlight shows most of them look the same

I went against conventional wisdom and switched to S5 at the last minute.  Supposingky I had no issues.  However, I am adding more pixel lights next year and need some new sequencing.  Any video tutorials out there on S5 to do cool things like waves etc.?!?

• The topic was locked