Light-O-Rama Forums

Spiral Pixel Tree Prop

Matthew Hagene

I have an artificial Christmas tree that is wrapped in pixels.  The tree has 700 pixels.  They are seven 100 pixel strings connected to a Pixie16.  The strings are wrapped around the tree end to end.  The first string starts at the bottom and then the next string starts where the first one leaves off.  The end of the 7th string ends at the very top of the tree.

When trying to create a prop it seems like the "Tree 360 spiral" would be appropriate but I can't figure out how to model all seven 100 pixel strings.  If I enter 7 for "Actual # of Strings" it creates seven different strings each starting at the bottom and each ending at the top of the tree.  Entering 1 for "Actual # of Strings" and 700 for "Exact # of RGB Nodes per String" seems like a more appropriate layout except then I cannot define the Network and Unit ID for each of the strings.  It only lets me define it for the first string. 

I'm looking for suggestions on what would be the best way to create a prop for this type of tree.

That’s to many for a pixie 16 per port. A pixie 16 is limited to no more than 172 pixels per port (unit ID)

Also unless LOR has updated S5 the only way to get more than 100 pixels set up on a pixie16 is to add it as a pixcon16 with the starting unit ID the same.

When you do that you will have the option to select 172 in the drop down for the Pixcon16.

Note over 101 you may need to inject power to run the rest of the string.

Hope this helps. It is referenced in my write up in the General Hardware section stickies at the top. ( I barely touched on it in the video)

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thank you for the info and for the detailed write up on the Pixie16 configuration.  One thing that I failed to make clear in my original post is that each 100 pixel string on the tree is connected to a different port (Unit ID) on the Pixie16.  It is using 7 of the 16 ports with each of the 7 ports containing exactly 100 pixels.  The seven 100 pixel strings are just wrapped end-to-end around the tree; the strings are not connected to each other and no port has more than 100 pixels.

I have previously used this tree with the S4 software.  The sequencing was just very tedious as there was 700 rows to deal with, but I was able to get some simple but nice vertical fading effects on the tree by using the chase tool.

I was hoping there might be a way to create a prop that would represent this tree, but I have not yet been able to figure out one that will work.  

5 hours ago, Matthew Hagene said:

Thank you for the info and for the detailed write up on the Pixie16 configuration.  One thing that I failed to make clear in my original post is that each 100 pixel string on the tree is connected to a different port (Unit ID) on the Pixie16.  It is using 7 of the 16 ports with each of the 7 ports containing exactly 100 pixels.  The seven 100 pixel strings are just wrapped end-to-end around the tree; the strings are not connected to each other and no port has more than 100 pixels.

I have previously used this tree with the S4 software.  The sequencing was just very tedious as there was 700 rows to deal with, but I was able to get some simple but nice vertical fading effects on the tree by using the chase tool.

I was hoping there might be a way to create a prop that would represent this tree, but I have not yet been able to figure out one that will work.  

If you have SuperStar you can build the vis file there. However I think we are limited to 50 pixel strings. Same as the S4 Vis.

Yeah, the way I read the original post sounded like you had 700 on one port.

JR