Light-O-Rama Forums

Alphapix bad output redirect now kills next universe/output

jkroha

I had my first ever port problem on a alphapix 15, output 4 will not work in test mode (changed fuse, no go, I think I shorted it in a rainstorm with a line break).  I had spare outputs, so output 4 was set to universe 22, I simply set output 16 to universe 16, swapped the connection and it works.... but now output 5 is dead in the LOR playback...  so like a fool I did not see a pattern, so swapped output 5 universe to output 13.... now output six is dead.  These output work in test mode, its either LOR software or the internal firmware i suspect.

I have the firmware set to one universe per output (1=19, 2-20, etc) and the number of bulbs, ala 100 or 50 depending.  It is possible I have cut out a bulb or two form a early set of lights over the years if that matters, aka only 98 bulbs on output 1 even though I tell firmware/LOR there are 100.... but output 5 is a different universe anyway???

Any thoughts?  I am at a loss, its a set of 8 brilliant bulb mini trees so I like having them all working for runs back and forth, etc.  (I also run 4 pixel strips on 9-12)

If, as you say the outputs work in test mode, then the controller outputs and the strings work, correct?  Strongly suggests a configuration issue to me.

Speaking from experience, I know that when you start swapping universes and outputs around in the controller and the sequencer, it's real easy to get mixed up to the point where nothing works. I would step back and unplug everything, check the sequencer assignments, and re-do the set up in the controller from scratch, even to the point of resetting to factory defaults if the Alpha can do that.

I once thought I had fried two 6804's before eventually realising that some of my connectors were different to others. About a dozen fuses later after two days of tearing my hair out, I finally figured it out. 

Not a bad idea to step back, and try a reset.  Limiting the pixels per output in firmware I think does ... nothing?  If LOr does not address them I am not sure if they care, or if its just a bit of network overhead reduction.

Output 4 does not work in test mode, that one is really gone, its just weird that just moving the output universe starts this weird cascade effect.  By memory, I thought LOR only sees universes, I say light up universe 22 pixel 1-100 this way, and it knows universe 22 is on a controller at this IP.... but does LOR know which output?  Or does only firmware control that?  I am not at the computer so I can probably answer that myself to be certain.  Still not clear why the 4th would work (now physically on 16th) but suddenly 5 goes dead software wise.  The joys of troubleshooting.... I have a week.  

I'm going to go with what Phil said and speculate a config issue.  E1.31 is a one way protocol, so LOR NEVER sees anything from the controller.  Therefore, nothing you could do with the controller would make the LOR part not work.  The one I'm wondering about - having never even seen an Alphapix controller, let alone played with one, is there limitations on re-arranging universes on the physical outputs?  For example, does it require you to put universes in order (or at least partially)?

Confirm that you are moving the universe mapping to a controller output as a setting in the controller as opposed to changing universes in LOR?  Your description in your first post would give the impression that you made the changes in LOR.  Under normal conditions, the changes should be made in the controller.  Requiring changes to your channel assignments in generally harder to do, and screws up what was hopefully a nice ordered layout.  For example, if you have a 12 string tree that uses one universe per output and one output per string, it would make far more sense to keep that that tree on let's say universes 21 - 32 (in order) rather than universes 21, 22, 29, 27, 24, 31, 25, 30, 26, 23, 28, 32.  In most cases, neither the hardware nor the software will care of the order, but it is far more confusing to us poor humans that have to manage it in the second example!

I have several of these and as Jim stated make sure that you are going into the Alphapix config menu and setting the ports up properly. The ports do not need to follow any order but you do need to ensure the universes and pixel numbers are correct for the ports. Here is what a Alphapix4 menu looks like:

Alphapix.JPG.6813fe379e130f0ccbaec51382ee2d9e.JPG

Edited by Mr. P

I did verify I only changed the universe on the alphapix, and that LOR only sees that universe's 17-32 or are at that IP address under the DMX/1.31 settings.  I know they "work" because the one I remap works, its just the next one in line goes dead.  Someone PMed me a interesting idea, that the 4 chip controller may be damaged and not able to handle all 4 outputs, but I tried mixing them into different groups without luck...  I will let you know when I get more time tonight, I am going to change the 8 trees to outputs 9-16 all in order, (and my 4 arches on 5-8, avoiding the 1-4 chip) and see if that works.  I have a new chip on order in case as well, I had no clue you could order them, it was like $3 bucks shipped....   Thanks for all the input so far!  

I have had the four chip controller go out on some of mine usually due to an accidental ground. If you contact HC and let them know they will usually ship you a few for free.  They sent me eight so I now have backups.

• The topic was locked