Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Differences - Light Design & Planning

joebuck425`

I just purchased the CTB16PC controller.  I have not purchased any lights yet, but looking at the big picture, I want to make sure I have the right controllers to get the effects I hope for with our design.  Looking more into different controllers I have been reading more about the smart/dumb pixel controllers as well.  I guess my first question getting started is that do the Residential AC controller I purchased still have the ability to change RGB LED lights?  It seems to get the more advanced individual control for chasing or other functions might require a smart pixel controller with the smart led ribbons?  We have a smaller house so I don't foresee us having very many controllers.  I would probably start out with the 16 channel AC controls I purchased and then a few smart led controllers?

Could someone put a simple comparison of what to expect with the basic different controllers and what lights to look for?

CTB16PC - AC controller for use with standard 110v store bought led or incandescent lights.

Pixcon16 or Pixie series - DC controller for 12v or 5v dc Pixels (smart)

CMB24D - DC controller for 12v or 5v dc dumb RGB lights.

Edited by Mr. P

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

CTB16PC - AC controller for use with standard 110v store bought led or incandescent lights.

Pixcon16 or Pixie series - DC controller for 12v or 5v dc Pixels (smart)

CMB24D - DC controller for 12v or 5v dc dumb RGB lights.

smart = Every (set of, if the controller is configured) node is color changable

Dumb =  the whole string does the same color

Stupid 😛 (AC), can't even change colers

Thanks everyone.  

So would it make sense to keep the AC controller and also get the Pixcon16, or just go with the Pixie series only?  Do some of the nicer shows still incorporate the AC controller lights for certain design aspects?

8 minutes ago, joebuck425` said:

Thanks everyone.  

So would it make sense to keep the AC controller and also get the Pixcon16, or just go with the Pixie series only?  Do some of the nicer shows still incorporate the AC controller lights for certain design aspects?

Pixies are much more user friendly for starting in pixels.

Yes, most of us use both AC and pixel controllers.

JR

Thanks Dibblejr.  I am an IT Director for a hospital by day and becoming a lighting noob by night.  There's a lot of information to wade through and I appreciate everyone's feedback!  I am just trying to figure out the most efficient way to get something together for this Christmas and slowly build off that.  Roofline, doors, windows, maybe a couple yard sequences.  

Edited by joebuck425`

4 minutes ago, joebuck425` said:

Thanks Dibblejr.  I am an IT Director for a hospital by day and becoming a lighting noob by night.  There's a lot of information to wade through and I appreciate everyone's feedback!  I am just trying to figure out the most efficient way to get something together for this Christmas and slowly build off that.  Roofline, doors, windows, maybe a couple yard sequences.  

The pixies will be your easiest (due to time) to get in to. Along with the even easier AC controllers.

Keep in mind, if you order any number of pixie controller(s) ensure you get at least one red 485 adapter per network 2400 pixels or less and at least one spare one.

Sequences are like Lays Potato Chips, cant just have 1 or 2. LOL Luckily for you there are many of us that share with others trying to start.

Also you may as well go ahead and pull the plug and buy the Pro License Level, you will need it if delving into pixels.

JR

AC's are the simplest (and there is always lighted things with AC plugs available for every season). Besides, out of all the systems, controller to prop distance is usually not a limitation (only if you are Maxing out a power level on a port, will using 18Ga lamp cord FOR 2 PRONG LIGHTS be an issue (Always use 3 wire cords IF the item HAD a 3 prong plug  You work at a Hospital... You know they are super fussy about this)

CMB24 (Dumb DC) are almost as easy and they just mostly add COLOR (and low voltage).   Because of the low voltage, voltage drop mounts up fast and your wire from the ports needs to be lots shorter (or get fatter-stiffer)

Then there are Pixels. Low Voltage, DATA signal distance, Network speed must be faster. BUT you get to do Glorious Pixel level lighting.. (and spend way more time on the sequence details)

I know the AC and Dumb controllers can run a simple program Stand alone. Think of the possibilities :) year round. (re) Load it from your Laptop and move on. no need for a LOR network cable infrastructure (If you do use 'house' wiring, be sure it is well marked and NOT patched to Ethernet devices)

Me, I'd recommend buying the LOR CCRII Controllers that also come with either 2 or 4 strands of RGB Smart Pixel lights{2 strands = 50 lights per port, 4 strands = 100 lights per port}. Of course the more strands the cost is also a little higher. That way the controller and lights are matched up and would be the best way to start without having to do any soldering or extra work to get them working.  Just make sure you have a red high speed adapter to go along with them, as Pixels usually require 500K and Enhanced Network to operate efficiently.

And as others have stated, to sequence pixels like those, your best bet is to have a PRO license.  Especially since Pixel controllers can use more unit ID's sometimes than you might expect, so a lower license level may not suffice to the number of controller ID's you may end up having.