Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Spiral Tree? (hardware)

rhino

If this question has already been asked, I apologize.  Feel free to link me in the right direction.  I didn't find it in 2 different search attempts.

This is regarding the ELEMENT HARDWARE ONLY at this time -- how to build a spiral mini tree.  I see a thread out there regarding the sequences, involving james morris and talley.  I'll get to that one after I secure and nail down the hardware of the spiral mini tree.

Thinking about adding 20 more mini trees (4 colors each) to my display, which already has 20 minis in it.  I'm wondering if I should make these new minis as spiral trees.  LEDS.  NOT RGBs.

Does anyone have experience with mini spiral trees?  (LEDS, NOT RGBs)

My minis are about 33" tall, and use the 5mm leds

Do 33" mini trees still make for a good spiral effect?

How many separate strands around the tomato cage are needed to make a good spiral effect?

If starting at the top, how many times around the tomato cage should a strand go around?

For one "spiral strand" around the tomato cage, what length of lights?  1 x 70cnt?  1 x 100cnt?  2 x 70cnt?  Other?

Hoping the questions make sense.

Thank you in advance!

29 minutes ago, Little_b said:

In the past I used to just Google Mega Tree Calculator and it brought up multiple options until I found the one that worked for me.  These may work for you.

http://westseattlelights.com/Spiral Tree Calculator.xls

Whoa, Nellie!  There's a sp-sheet for this?!  How cool is that?!  THANK YOU!

Now, do spirals look good on a 33" mini tree?   What's the shortest a "tree" can be, and the spirals still look good?

Thanks!

I haven't seen anyone do a mini spiral tree.  I had a 6' spiral my first year and loved it, now it's a 17.'5 spiral.    I have thought about doing it for years with my 16 minis(Yes LEDS)  that are about the same height, but haven't pulled the trigger on them yet.  It's on my 2020 possible checklist, now that I got my fourth color(WRGB).  

50 minutes ago, Little_b said:

In the past I used to just Google Mega Tree Calculator and it brought up multiple options until I found the one that worked for me.  These may work for you.

http://westseattlelights.com/Spiral Tree Calculator.xls

Again -- thank you for this sp-sheet.  Awesome.  Can I ask questions about it, which is probably "spiral tree 101" type of things.

1.  What is "Total channels"?

2.  What is "Strings per channel"?  If it's 24 total channels, and 1 string per channel, does that mean there's 24 individual "strands" (or spirals) around the "tree", and each of the 24 "strands" can be programmed (channel)?

3.  What is "Length of Support Line"?

4.  What is "Support Line String Spacing"?

5.  What is "Base Rig Spacing per String"?

10 hours ago, rhino said:

1.  What is "Total channels"? How many controller channels are you going to allocate to the tree.... It's a personal preference. Most say 12 is a minimum for spirals. I use 16 strands on 16 channels and think it's the best. 😎 

2.  What is "Strings per channel"?  If it's 24 total channels, and 1 string per channel, does that mean there's 24 individual "strands" (or spirals) around the "tree", and each of the 24 "strands" can be programmed (channel)? Yes. However, if you want it thicker, do 2 strings per channel. So 24 channels with 48 strings would be a lot of lights for a small or medium spiral tree. But if you have say a 20ft or larger tree, or it's very far back from your viewing area - you might want that thicker "slice of light". 

3.  What is "Length of Support Line"? Ground level to top of pole support wires. Supports the strands of lights as you spiral wrap around the tree. I made my tree from PVC. So this would be the length of the PVC from bottom ring to the top.

4.  What is "Support Line String Spacing"? Vertical spacing between strands as you wrap the tree. (I used as a guide - but you need to play with it to see what you like. On my 8 ft spiral tree, I like 1.5 revolutions. 4.19" was the spacing called for. My actual spacing turned out tighter at the top - like 3". Spacing at the bottom got to almost 5". Again - it's what you like...)

5.  What is "Base Ring Spacing per String"? Distance between light strands where you terminate them to your bottom tree ring. 

As I understand it-

1- The total number of channels you plan to use.

2- Your answer is correct. Some people will put say 2 spirals in the same channel so they come on 2 at time.  (2 can vary)

3- Support lines are the lines that are straight down that you attach the spiral part to to keep it cone shaped

4- At the base, this is the distance apart each support line is attached

5- At the base, this is the distance apart each light string is attached.

I've never seen any shorter spiral trees before, other than pixels, but my advice would to be to build one and see how it turns out.  With it only being 33" tall, you probably should be able to just eyeball it without too much trouble.

Mega Arch beat me to the reply, we must have been typing at the same time.

52 minutes ago, Little_b said:

…..

Mega Arch beat me to the reply, we must have been typing at the same time.

First thing I've won in years & years.... Hopefully just started a streak...

• Like 2