Light-O-Rama Forums

Problem - other channels flicker

dhuffty

I've been running some light tests. I have 4 channels I'm using. When fading lights on channel 2, lights on channel 1 and 4 flicker during the fade on 2. None of the other channels demonstrate this when fading. Somehow when I fade channel 2, Channel 4 and 1 sends quick pulse on for a very brief flash.

any clue as to what's happening. Sounds like a Hardware problem but I need to know. This is a new board, LOR 1602MP3 and I'm sequence testing straight from my PC to the board.

Any help is appreciated.

First , I would try reseting the controller. unplug controller, set unit to 00, plug in for 20 seconds, unplug and set back to correct number.

See if that cures it.

I've reset the controller and it didn't help. I've also found it's more than 2 channels that flicker when fading of Channel 2. It's almost all the other channels on the 1-8 channel side of the board. The 9-16 side doesn't do this.

Any thoughts on this?

If you could post a video of what's going on, it might be helpful. Different people call different things "flicker", and this could be anything from voltage drop to a strange controller issue...

-Tim

Thanks for all the responses - I was testing with both sides plugged into 1 cord inside the house because I was only testing C7 LED lights from CDI (Paul Sessel). I have flickers related to diming on all strings in this new bunch, but when checking individual channels, Channel 2 dimming makes the other channels on the 1 to 8 side flicker

I'll try separate the cords to a separate plug each and see what that does.

dhuffty wrote:

Thanks for all the responses - I was testing with both sides plugged into 1 cord inside the house because I was only testing C7 LED lights from CDI (Paul Sessel). I have flickers related to diming on all strings in this new bunch, but when checking individual channels, Channel 2 dimming makes the other channels on the 1 to 8 side flicker

I'll try separate the cords to a separate plug each and see what that does.

I suggest you always do troubleshooting with strings of incandescant lights, not LEDs. That way you can be fairly certain to eliminate the LEDs as a source of problem.

If all works well with incandescant bulbs, then focus on the LEDs as the problem. You are probabably going to need snubbers (a little more loading) on each channel to prevent the problem. At least narrow down the problem to be either the controller or what is plugged into it.

Ah, I didn't see the "LED C7" comment.

You definitely don't want to dim these if they're retrofits (screw into a standard C7 string). The design of the bulb prevents it. Not only will it not work well, it can destroy the bulbs.

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Ah, I didn't see the "LED C7" comment.

You definitely don't want to dim these if they're retrofits (screw into a standard C7 string). The design of the bulb prevents it. Not only will it not work well, it can destroy the bulbs.

-Tim

Oh, I missed that too!

Right on Tim.

The C7s are really C6s and they aren't retrofits. They have rectifiers and whatever else they use to make them full wave and also dimmable. They do dimm, it's just funny. They are CDI lights. I travel in my job so I haven't been able to test with regular mini's yet but I will soon and eliminate the board versus the led issue.

Thanks everyone.

I have the same issue with m5 lights from the same company. I will also try some regular mini lights and see what happens

Steve

You might want to check out the Planet Christmas forums under Lights/LED. Unfortunately, CDI lights have major fading/flicker problems. Not much you can do with them. Seems like we are stuck with them until the 2009 sale. Paul agreed to take them back and replace them with the 2009 products.

Hard to believe that the manufacturer has not tried to help with a fix for this year.

They sort of left Paul out on a limb with them.

Harbs

Clarificaton on Paul taking back 2008 version of LED strings. He has stated this offer is available for those that purchased during the presale. Those that put 1/2 down when they placed their order and paid the other 1/2 when the order shipped. Paul has stated those that odered in the pre-sale to use them this year, if not completely satisfied, return them prepaid to Paul in January and he will replace with 2009 product.

Considering that Paul placed the order in March and they did not come in untill July, there would not have been enough time for the manufacture to replace the lights, even if they had a new design in place. There is a forum entry on PC that discusses the problem and several have discovered the failed components and have come up with modifications that are working well.

Chuck