Light-O-Rama Forums

Help Needed

Guest guest

Recieved my controllers today and hooked the first one up to my computer. I have two serial ports on the back, but only one COM shows up in Device Manager. I hooked the adapter to the computer (have tried both ports) and using the CAT5 plugged into the middle port of the controller card. I opened the Hardware utility and it only shows COMM1. I cannot get it to communicate. Auto Configure shows unable to locate COM port. Any ideas?

James

Loaded the software on my laptop and it found the controller right off. So.....something up with my main frame computer.

Also check your BIOS, or start-up set-up. In their you can find the settings for your serial ports and you can activate them if disabled, set a com # or disable them. I would set port #1 (or 2) as your LOR port. Give it a fixed address (number) but let the other one should ne on "auto" so the computer doesent do a wierd com deal! That solved my many problems, hope it works for you!

--Daniel L

One of the serial ports had permanent address, the other was disabled. I set it to auto. I did not know for sure which was which on the computer so I tried both. Hmm, found controller on Comm 1, but would not initialize. Changed plug to other port, found on Comm 2, would not initialized, tried couple more times and it finally worked.

I downloaded a sequence so this weekend I can set up some lights and see how it works.

Thanks,

James

Well things still did not work well. The sequence would not download, kept repeating itself and then timed out. Finally got tired of the whole mess and jacked up the serial port and run a new (used) computer under it. Works great now. :-)

James