Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB distance from box to pixel string

MichRX7

I've been trying to figure out what the maximum travel distance you can have for wiring from a dumb rgb 9 channel 12v box with a 350 watt power supply to the pixel string. I thought I read on the internet it was 15', but there was a way to extend that distance. Is there anyone who can confirm this or point me to an article on that distance or extending the distance?

Thanks!

I have used runs that were as long as 45'.  There is some voltage drop when you start running super long lengths and the lights start to dim a bit and the white starts to "pink" out.  The 15' rule you're probably thinking about has to do with pixels as that is about the max length for the data.  If you have issues with power drop, you can use what is called an RGB Amplifier to help inject power along the way.  I bought some thinking I'd have to use them, but ended up never hooking them up, so I'm not sure how well they work.

DC Voltage drop is not easy to compensate for. I * R = E 

I is ever changing in our line of work. Crank up the voltage to compensate for bright and it  becomes way too high for dim times.

Fatter wire is (lowers R) is about the only way.  OK, you can use a way more expensive 'Lab" type supply which has a (voltage) sense connection to the load

IMHO Low voltage supplies NEED to be near their loads.

My longest runs from a CMB-16D controller to a dumb RGB strip is about 55 feet using four conductor 16AWG speaker cable.  Works fine.