Light-O-Rama Forums

Protecting Pixels from Sun

Dave76

For people in high winter temps and lots of sun, how do you protect your pixels? Mine are mounted on pvc as seen in pic, and two seasons in they look rough.

ideas???  Thanks!

03CF3E21-A8B4-424F-A02E-5847EAEC8802.jpeg

Probably the salt air and/or Ozone, or UV. . I have the same pixels on pvc and they look fine. May vary by supplier or even manufacturing run.

As long as they work..............

39 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Probably the salt air and/or Ozone, or UV. . I have the same pixels on pvc and they look fine. May vary by supplier or even manufacturing run.

As long as they work..............

Still work, I did have a few dead this past year.  I’m definitely worried about longevity.

i know there are others in Places like Florida and if they experience similar or if there are any good ideas on shielding them. I’m fairly certain it’s UV

Fairly warm and sunny here in Tn. Mine have seen 5 seasons now and are only slightly discolored. I suppose you could paint the body but leave the led exposed. The bulb looks fine, so I wouldn't worry about it unless they get to the point of leaking. I have a couple of thousand pixels and never had a single failure.

If they still work I wouldn’t worry about it.

Especially with nodes, easy to cut and replace if one goes out.

JR

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If they still work I wouldn’t worry about it.

Especially with nodes, easy to cut and replace if one goes out.

JR

Very true. I’m not too concerned about appearance. I guess I’m also thinking they must be getting pretty warm in the South Carolina sun also. 

I have some strip lights that stay on my eaves year round and I had to replace them last year after six years due to the Georgia sun turning them yellow.

I don't know if this will work but I use a clear uv spray on some painted metal Christmas signs to keep the paint from fading in the sun. It comes like spray paint that I got from Lowes. After four years my signs still look new with no fading with three coats of spray on them.

On 7/30/2019 at 6:43 AM, Mr. P said:

I have some strip lights that stay on my eaves year round and I had to replace them last year after six years due to the Georgia sun turning them yellow.

I don't know if this will work but I use a clear uv spray on some painted metal Christmas signs to keep the paint from fading in the sun. It comes like spray paint that I got from Lowes. After four years my signs still look new with no fading with three coats of spray on them.

Interesting. Did your strip lights end of life because of the sun you think?  Six years is pretty good in my book.  

I will look into this spray. Maybe try it on a test set

thanks

1 hour ago, Dave76 said:

Interesting. Did your strip lights end of life because of the sun you think?  Six years is pretty good in my book.  

I will look into this spray. Maybe try it on a test set

thanks

My strips turned so yellow that they were brown and started affecting my colors. The strips were still working but my whites didn't look crisp like the other lights that I took down every year.

On 7/31/2019 at 5:16 PM, Mr. P said:

My strips turned so yellow that they were brown and started affecting my colors. The strips were still working but my whites didn't look crisp like the other lights that I took down every year.

Did you try the clear on any lights?

• The topic was locked