Light-O-Rama Forums

Which kit is right for my project?

erdtas

I'm looking to build a very simple set up for an art project with 10 flood lights. Each of these 10 lights will be lit at different points while an audio file is playing (they will never be lit all at once). Ideally I wouldn't be using a computer to control this so a separate controller would be great. What kit would you recommend I use to set this up? Is there anything else I should be wary of? Thank you!

Need more info, what type of flood lights? Are you wanting 12v RGB floods which run on a CMB24D or typical 110v store bought floods which will run on a CTB16PC? Type of lights determine the controllers and packages.

Edited by Mr. P

The lights will be set up inside a gallery, illuminating individual sculptures one by one. I won't be using different colors, just white light, so RGB isn't really necessary. So really I should have said spot lights rather than flood lights.

That is a great tip, thank you!

Do you think it would be possible for me to use the Basic Starter Package (http://www1.lightorama.com/basic-starter-package/) and just add the Mini Director? For those combined I'm looking at $418 while the Showtime Central Starter Package is $580.

From what I can see the Showtime Central Starter only has the FM Transmitter added and I couldn't figure out what I'd need that for.

You sure can. As long as you have a Director, Software, Controller. Keep in mind that everything will still be programmed on the computer. You would then transfer the sequence to a sd card and use the director. You will also need to purchase floods/spots and extension cords or wire. Also consider sound and how you will get the music or narration out.

Perfect, that makes sense. I'll program it on a computer and then run it on the Mini Director as you've said.

I imagine I'll be running the audio on a separate device as I'll actually have two separate audio files playing simultaneously to two different audio systems. As long as I am able to start the Mini Director and the audio files on the other devices manually at the same time I should be OK, as I don't require extreme precision (it's fine if it's off by up to a second or two).

If you ever think you might want RGB in the future...Go with the CMB24 (you will need a 12V power supply and case) and buy commonly found white 12V 10W floods. You have 24 outputs to play with individually. You can even use some groups of 3 for SOME RGB. LOR's 10W RGB floods are fun.

BTW either the AC controller or this one, only uses 1 License count