Light-O-Rama Forums

How many controllers can I run with the Showtime central TSO edition without having to program any?

Joshb

Originally I was just going to start with 32 channels, but I started working with a fellow enthusiast and in exchange for my labor, he's given me multiple controllers, leds, and a mega tree so far. In the description it states that up to 64 channels can be used, but on the preview video, it shows multiple controllers being used (more than 4 anyway). I'm purchasing the card that can be edited for the future, but I'm just wanting to plug and play for a couple years until I get some practice in with the sequencing.

Thanks in advance.

There are quite a few variables here that are going to make it next to impossible to give you a firm answer.

"Without having to program any" - Well, if you are going with an SD Card to run the show (ie., director) then you can run as many controllers as the show is programmed for (what's on the SD card.)

That brings us to the next point ... programming. If the card can be edited, someone has to edit it. Without programming anything it's going to be quite difficult to change the SD card. Someone, somewhere will have to edit it.

5 minutes ago, Don said:

There are quite a few variables here that are going to make it next to impossible to give you a firm answer.

"Without having to program any" - Well, if you are going with an SD Card to run the show (ie., director) then you can run as many controllers as the show is programmed for (what's on the SD card.)

That brings us to the next point ... programming. If the card can be edited, someone has to edit it. Without programming anything it's going to be quite difficult to change the SD card. Someone, somewhere will have to edit it.

I'm getting the can be modified card that comes with the starter kit. I'm wondering if 64 channels is the max that that card supports without having to manually add and sequence additional controllers.

I just want everything mapped out and ready so I can get straight to wiring everything when it gets here.

Another factor is your license which you have not updated in your profile. Your license level will also determine the number and type of controllers you can run. Please update your license level and software version in your profile so we can see what you are working with.

If you haven't purchased the software yet then let us know the level you are considering.

Edited by Mr. P

I haven't ordered it yet, won't be until September. I'm just starting off with the basic plus I think it's called. Just needing to know how many controllers the TSO card can support without having to sequence additional controllers. I don't have time for sequencing at the current time.

30 minutes ago, Joshb said:

I haven't ordered it yet, won't be until September. I'm just starting off with the basic plus I think it's called. Just needing to know how many controllers the TSO card can support without having to sequence additional controllers. I don't have time for sequencing at the current time.

With the Basic Plus license the best you can do is four Unit IDs or four CTB16PCG3 controllers which is 64 channels. Being new I am guessing that you will be using these controllers.

All LOR controllers use Unit IDs as addresses and the number of Unit IDs that you can use is limited by your license, a Basic Plus license allows you to use four. If you want to use more controllers then you need to up your license level. The mini director and card you will be using can handle more then four.

Compare license levels here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-levels/

Thanks for explaining that Mr. P. I'll probably get a higher license to run at least 6 this year and keep adding a few every year after, the more I get comfortable with sequencing on my own.

The only restriction on how many controllers can be supported from a hardware level is the limits in the address. You can have 240 controllers. Per network. Up to 16 networks (from computer) and 12 (I think) linking the new Directors together.

The license level comes into play when you WRITE shows to the SD card using the software. You will have to use the software to write the shows in a format the Director can read.

The max that a card can control is dependent on what was written to the card in the first place. If a 128 channel sequence was written to the card, then you can link 8 controllers together.

Clear as mud?

I get what you're saying. I was thinking someone else on here had run that card before. The TSO card they sell on the LOR website. It says it's sequenced for up to 64 channels, but the demo video shows more than 4 controllers being used. Was curious if they had to program the additional controllers on their own or if they'd function at all just running the card. Hope that wasn't too confusing lol. I was wanting to use 6, but if I'm limited right now to 4, that's fine too.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you ever got an answer, but the TSO card is programmed for 68 AC channels and 32 "dumb" RGB pixels.

Unit 1 and unit 2 are 4 groups of 4.

Unit 3 and unit 4 are 2 groups of 8.

Unit 5 is blank and intended for you to add your own props and sequencing. 

Unit 6 utilizes channels 1-4 for strobes. 

Unit 7 and unit 8 are for eight dumb RGB pixel ports each. And they are duplicated at controllers 20-2F. So, even though it's 32 pixel channels, it's really 16 duplicated. 

I hope that helps you. 

If you set your layouts up EXACTLY as it is preprogrammed, it will lik exactly like the videos. No changes or editing required. 

• The topic was locked