Light-O-Rama Forums

back it up!! if it happend to me...

saxon

total HD failure.

I never put a great deal of effort into backing up but with all the work I put into sequencing and vis files, and the heart breaking stories of people losing all their work I have read on this forum, I backed everything up 3 different ways. 

With my repaired computer back in my hands, I began to reinstall my programs. LOR made it soooo easy and with the new speed of my comp I was done in seconds. Opened my cloud drive and BAMMM - all my lms, sup, vis, and audio where there safe and sound. I shed a tear. 

I thought I would share a happy ending story since we always seem to hear of the bad one where all is lost. 

People: if it happened to me it could happen to you. get a cloud drive, thumb drive, ext HD, email your sequences to yourself - whatever, MAKE COPIES!

• Like 1

+ about 10 million!!!!

As my standard mantra - Backup, Backup, and off-site Backup!  Back up your files in more than one place, and AT LEAST one location that is off site.  Whether it is cloud based, or taking drives to another location, keep at least one Backup at another location.  If you want to read all about what I do, you can read this post:

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Can't state it enough.

And thumb drives fail without warning 😢. Make multiple copies and keep them in different places (fire or water  can happen).

8 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Make multiple copies and keep them in different places (fire or water  can happen).

Or a fire, natural disaster, burglary, or many other things.

My backup setup includes NAS which detects file changes and backs them up immediately.    For offsite storage, I zip sequences using 7zip with a password and FTP the compressed file to my webhost.   My offsite storage is very erratic and usually only happens when I see threads like this.   

This time I noticed something new to point out.    The 7zip program has a new ultra compress option 7z  LZMA2.  Released in Feb this year I think.   It took about 40 minutes to ultra compress 74 pixel sequences from 2018.    The result file size was only 54 meg which is incredible from 10.1GB uncompressed.     The file took about 3 minutes to upload and is smaller than one average uncompressed file.   

• 2 weeks later...

I have all mine saved to my google drive as well as an external harddrive and my computer. Cant save to many places

• 4 weeks later...

Learned this in photography when I lost my children's entire first Disney trip. (Fortunately, my sister's husband had copies.) Main HDD, portable local storage such as external drive, SD/flash and an online/cloud backup. Minimum. 

• Like 1

I use flash drives and separate hard drives plus a portable hard drive. I back up when I'm sequencing changes then when its all done, I back up to the other devices and lastly, I have a special hard drive that's a bit for bit copy of the primary drive that's backed up as well. I do this so that in case of a hard drive failure, I can quickly switch to the backed up hard drive, boot and go. Never had to use it yet, but I have it just in case.

Are any of those backups kept off-site?    On-site backups are fine, but a fire or burglar can take them all out.  Personally at the end of every sequencing session (or other important computer work), the files are uploaded to Google Drive or Dropbox.  Once a week, the server hard drives are backed up to an external hard drive and taken to my office - 26 miles away.  I have multiple external hard drives so there are a couple of older versions at work.  My server uses RAID arrays so I can survive a hard drive failure.  And after a hard drive failure, the hot standby drive is automatically swapped in, so as soon as the RAID controller syncs the hot standby drive, I could survive a second hard drive failure without losing anything or any action required by me.  The computer will also notify me via E-Mail when a drive fails.

Remember too, that if you should get hit by ransomware, or other nastiness, that it could propagate through anything connected to the PC or network. This could include external HDD's or flash drives and even cloud storage. As Jim said, something offsite is highly recommended, and cloud storage that has some sort of rollback versioning capability.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll never forget the older years and watching secretaries cry as a result of losing their computer documents.  This is what I tell anyone who has data they cherish on a computer they own / use when called in order to try and resurect it.  Do you have a car?  Has the motor broke yet?  You know it will after you've driven it long enough.  Of course they always agree.  So then I tell them.  Your computer has a hard drive.  It has a motor!  If the motor breaks you lose all of your data files.  It's not a matter of, IF the motor will break.  It's a matter of WHEN will it break! You need to make copies of your data files!  I never go anywhere without my terabyte of thumbdrive(s) / multiple hardrive(s).  Not nextdoor to the neighbors, not to the restaurant, not to work, not to bed (actually their next to the bed, Not swimming (actually their in the car), not to church, etc, ).  Of course, the CLOUD is suppose to be the magic answer in todays world .  But your relying on a IT staff to make sure it's backed up and functioning.  I'd rather trust myself to assure I never lose my documents, pics, music, movies, seqs, etc.  So I can't stress enough like everyone else here is saying.  COPY/BACKUP!  PS.  Neighbors house just down the street burnt down and they lost it all.  Taking backups offsite can't be stressed enough.  And do it often.

• The topic was locked