Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR virgin with a CAT-5 cable question

jrbryant

I've got 5 LOR controllers (PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE). Three of the plastic enclosures have 4 holes in the bottom and the metal strain relief. 3 holes for the electrical cords and another hole for the CAT-5 cables (I'm assuming).

The other two enclosures have only 3 holes in the enclosure and strain relief. How are you supposed to get the CAT-5 cable into and out of those types of enclosures? It seems like it would be WAY too difficult and time consuming to try and squeeze them in through the rubber grommet and strain relief.

Do I need to drill a 4th hole for the cables?

jrbryant wrote:

The other two enclosures have only 3 holes in the enclosure and strain relief. How are you supposed to get the CAT-5 cable into and out of those types of enclosures? It seems like it would be WAY too difficult and time consuming to try and squeeze them in through the rubber grommet and strain relief.

I just lay my cat-5 over the black grommet for the power and then over the strain relief - no problems.

jrbryant wrote:

You can if you want.

Harrison

jrbryant wrote:

I've got 5 LOR controllers (PC-CTB16PC-COMPLETE). Three of the plastic enclosures have 4 holes in the bottom and the metal strain relief. 3 holes for the electrical cords and another hole for the CAT-5 cables (I'm assuming).

I run mine through the center hole with the power input lines. 2 14 awg lines, and a cat-5 should be fine.

doublea wrote:

jrbryant wrote:

I run mine through the center hole with the power input lines. 2 14 awg lines, and a cat-5 should be fine.

Do you leave them connected together all the time? It seems like it would be difficult to shove another cable there!

jrbryant wrote:

doublea wrote:
jrbryant wrote:

Do you leave them connected together all the time? It seems like it would be difficult to shove another cable there!

oh, I only have one Lor unit.... So you got me their.... Sorry.

I usually run both Cat5 cables through the same gromet as the power inlet. I prefer to use cables that have strain reliefs that double the length of the connector, but do not make it any fatter than a normal unbooted cable. The longer length makes it easier to push through, and the taper on the strain relief makes it easier to take back out..

Unfortunately, no suggestion on where to locate them..

- Kevin