Light-O-Rama Forums

Two Computers?

Guest guest

Is it possible to have LOR hooked up to two computers? Like if I was to share my lights with a neighbor but to make it fair he had 1/2 a night and I had he other. if one computer is controlling could another be ready to take controll?

--Daniel L

you may be able to do it with windows RDP, only if it can control the serial/usb port on the remote computer. UTMA is another option, which will have a pretty good chance of working when ncomputing's serial expander comes out. These are obviously just ideas. It may be easier and cheaper to use LOR wireless.

Greg

Hi Daniel

We do a 3 family light show and will be adding another this year. I agree with Don !

Each one of our neighbors have a favorite song and I let them work on the seq.

Multi family displays is a lot of fun, and everyone seems to help each other out.

Like Don said :

Money Spent: $0

Don

I don't know.. but being that the ports on the boards are specifically "input" and "output" this would lead one to believe that if you put a computer at the other end of the chain, it would be sending commands to the output, and the board would ignore it.

Again, I repose the question: WHY? If it serves no logical purpose, why even bother?If you want your neighbor to be able to access it remotely, just set them up with a remote-access password through something like RealVNC or Remote Desktop... no point at all in this two computer system...

plus you would have to deal with problems on 2 machines instead of one, and if your neighbor wasn't home, you would not be able to access the machine (unless you used a vnc solution, of course)

Stephen Blue wrote:

I don't know.. but being that the ports on the boards are specifically "input" and "output" this would lead one to believe that if you put a computer at the other end of the chain, it would be sending commands to the output, and the board would ignore it.

I had this same thought last night. Daniel, you can't do this in the way you are wanting to do.

Sharing the sequence is perfectly legal.

The music behind it, however, is not. Thus, if you want to share animation only sequences, you can do it very easily. If you want to share musical sequences, you first have to convert them over to animation only to share the sequence.

Make sense?

There is a demo version that anyone can use. However, it can't be used to control the lights.

Sharing the full version? Just like any other program. If you share it, your stealing. (and driving the costs up for the rest of us.) (I'm not saying "You, Tom." I'm talking to everyone.)

cghargis wrote:

How does all of this work with copyright and licensing? Is it permissable to share your program with others? Not planning on doing it here, but was just curious?

Here's my guess (key word GUESS). If you buy LOR then you have a license for 1 light show. If you are doing a light show with 3 neighbors all controlled by YOUR computer then you are fine. If you let the 3 neighbors install it on their computers and there are 4 light shows running then 3 copies are pirated and therefore NOT legal.

TED

Currently we do not have a multi-license price break. We don't care how many neighbors are connected for a single show (as was mentioned above)... If multiple families are going to create their own shows they should purchase the software... I will think about the multiple license price break.