Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Files Created in my S5 Sequence Folder

Jade Rymkos

Hi All,

I noticed SuperStar has created Video Clip files in my S5 Sequence folder (sample file attached).  They are associated with SuperStar effects that I have inserted into the sequence grid.  Do I need to keep these files organized with my LOREDIT File or can they be deleted without causing any issues?

Thanks, Jade

The .avi files are how SuperStar exports to the S5 Sequencer.  Short answer is don’t delete them.

That file is created by the S5 sequencer using data that is passed from superstar. I asked Matt Brown (the programmer for the S5 Sequencer) and he says that those .avi files are necessary when playing the sequence to your lights. But for what it is worth, they are not used when playing the sequence to the S5 computer screen.

So as K6ccc says, yes, those files are necessary and do not delete them.

54 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

I asked Matt Brown (the programmer for the S5 Sequencer) and he says that those .avi files are necessary when playing the sequence to your lights. But for what it is worth, they are not used when playing the sequence to the S5 computer screen.

That sounds backwards - and I just proved it.  For my test, I opened one of my 2018 sequences with 5.2.2 and saved it in a newly created Christmas 2019 folder (so there would be nothing else to confuse the issue).  I then selected a motion effect line for my pixel tree from time 00:01:00 to 00:05:00 and Inserted a SuperStar Effect.  Created a couple of morphs in SuperStar and then exited SuperStar.  Answered yes about saving the change.  Played the sequence in S5 Sequencer and confirmed that it played correctly.  Saved the file again and then created playback files for the sequence.  Because I was sick yesterday and did not take my show down, it's all still up.  Created a Show with that one test sequence and then scheduled that show as a calendar entry and went outside to watch.  Sure enough, the added morphs played just fine.  Then deleted the .avi file and again played the show via a calendar entry, and again it played just fine.  Lastly, opened S5 Sequencer again and opened the test sequence.  Got the error message below, and the added morphs were gone.

avi%20file%20missing.png

Thank you K6ccc for testing this and keeping me honest. I went back and looked at Matt Brown's reply to my email and I think I misunderstood his reply. What he said was that the .avi files are not necessary for "show playback" which I was thinking meant playback to the S5 computer screen. But I can see now that he meant the .avi files are not necessary when using "playback files" to play to your actual lights.

Thanks for the feedback Jim and Brian.

Going forward, I'm going to keep my sequences located in their own unique folder/directory so the avi files are grouped with the parent LOREDIT file.  When I create a sequence I make a lot of edits, save often and create multiple file revisions.  I've just started my first sequence for 2019 and have already accumulated over 18 separate avi files.  I can see where it would become unmanageable for me if the avi files for all my sequences were dumped into a single folder/directory since the avi filenames only contain a date/timestamp and do not identify the sequence name.  (I didn't try yet, but maybe I can specify the avi filename??)  I do realize now that the associated avi files are identified in Sequence >  File References.  In fact, after I moved my LOREDIT file and associated avi files, I was prompted by an appropriate warning message to update the file location.

- Jade