Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 DMX sequencing for moving heads

ebrown1972

Does anyone have any tutorials on how to sequence dmx devices in S5? I have 9 dmx channels set up in S5 representing my moving heads. I allow dmx editing on each row for each channel. Anytime I change the intensity on a row (single channel) the intensities on all the other rows changes to that intensity. I am just not getting it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric 

Also I cannot get S5 to control the head via E131. I know the setup is correct because I had Xlights controlling the head with the same setup in 5 minutes. The head is running off of a Falcon serial port. I also have the control panel running.

1 hour ago, ebrown1972 said:

Does anyone have any tutorials on how to sequence dmx devices in S5? I have 9 dmx channels set up in S5 representing my moving heads. I allow dmx editing on each row for each channel. Anytime I change the intensity on a row (single channel) the intensities on all the other rows changes to that intensity. I am just not getting it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Eric 

Changing sequencing on one row should not affect any other row -- unless the channels are in a group and the group is collapsed, in which case changing the group's visible row also changes all of the hidden rows (just like SE).

How are you changing the DMX intensities? One approach is this:

image.png

After selecting the Max Intensity tool, you can drag the pencil icon over the cells you want to set to that intensity.

Matt

Eric,

I have a 9 channel dmx prop that I can show you with a gif how it works, how it's setup, how I sequence it. Let me know.

Matts comments above give the glue to whats wrong.

Alan...

3 minutes ago, default said:

Eric,

I have a 9 channel dmx prop that I can show you with a gif how it works, how it's setup, how I sequence it. Let me know.

Matts comments above give the glue to whats wrong.

Alan...

That would be great Alan. Thanks

4 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Changing sequencing on one row should not affect any other row -- unless the channels are in a group and the group is collapsed, in which case changing the group's visible row also changes all of the hidden rows (just like SE).

How are you changing the DMX intensities? One approach is this:

image.png

After selecting the Max Intensity tool, you can drag the pencil icon over the cells you want to set to that intensity.

Matt

I don't know what the heck I was doing earlier but I got everything to work fine and S5 controlled the moving head just fine. I am looking forward to learning the ins and outs of dmx sequencing moving heads. I will have 4 cheaper version heads in my display this upcoming year and I hope to replace those next year with 230w versions. Matt is there any possibility of having a moving head prop in the future? Thanks,

Eric

Eric,

Sorry it took longer to do this video than I had intended. I got interupted all day today. I was going to show you how to sequence for another prop, but I went ahead and hooked up a moving head light just so it would be easier to follow.

The video should get you started. The best way to sequence for moving head lights I have found is to have them working and sequence them live. That way you can see where the beam is, it's color, etc. A picture that represents basic movements and dmx values will be handy when deciding where to move the beam to. This explained in the begining of the video.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

Alan. Where did you get your lights. I have been looking for RGB with a gobo. Those seem nice. Mine are white with color and shape  gobos, and 60W.

Phil,

I got them off Amazon. Link Here

These are not so good for outdoor use. They do work, just not as bright as I wanted. I was looking at some that allowed the user to create thier own gobo's. Thought it would be neat to have the Bat Signal. 😊

Alan...

I ran 4 tucked up high under my eaves, so they were out of the direct weather. They survived the season fine. The 60W are pretty bright, but of course nothing like the higher wattage, higher price ones. Be nice to have TSO's budget for just one of their heads.

• 2 weeks later...

Halloween was my first tryout for a cheap, moving head spot.

What I learned :

• I wish I could spend more. The cheapo one was barely acceptable. No beams were visible but the gobo patterns on the pavement were worth the effort.
  • Alan is right, sequencing while in place  (under the eaves of my garage) was the only way I made any progress on motion. I'm still slightly baffled and unsure about how I got it to do what it did.
  • In the end, I created short animation sequences just for this prop. Each sequence represented the color and motion patterns that I liked. I copied and pasted those data rows into my musical sequences.
  • Next year, I'll focus on those moving patterns on the pavement that kids love chasing. I try to respond to my audience.

• 4 weeks later...

Matt,

Remember the conversation we had last year about creating a prop and how it would be easier for some standard DMX activities setup could be done better at that point. We were talking about LASERs at the time where DMX channels 1 - 2 - 3 - 4  may get you one graphic if set to specific values and a different graphic if set to other values. We spoke that it would just be easier to set up a prop as the graphic then set it up again as another prop for the other graphic as opposed to faffing about with multiple channels and multiple levels in the sequencer.

N

22 hours ago, ndutton said:

Matt,

Remember the conversation we had last year about creating a prop and how it would be easier for some standard DMX activities setup could be done better at that point. We were talking about LASERs at the time where DMX channels 1 - 2 - 3 - 4  may get you one graphic if set to specific values and a different graphic if set to other values. We spoke that it would just be easier to set up a prop as the graphic then set it up again as another prop for the other graphic as opposed to faffing about with multiple channels and multiple levels in the sequencer.

N

Yes, I remember...