Light-O-Rama Forums

|Single PS for P10 Panels and Raspberry Pi

mpageler

Going to give P10 panels a test this year and starting to think about ordering.    Can you use a single 5v power supply to power both the Raspbery Pi/PiHat and the p10 panels.  

Reapberry uses a micro USB power connection.  Is that the smal 3/16" or so male connection that so many remote devices use (i.e. phones, mpe players)

1 hour ago, mpageler said:

Going to give P10 panels a test this year and starting to think about ordering.    Can you use a single 5v power supply to power both the Raspbery Pi/PiHat and the p10 panels.  

Reapberry uses a micro USB power connection.  Is that the smal 3/16" or so male connection that so many remote devices use (i.e. phones, mpe players)

make sure it's a 5v or you will fry the panels.  The pi-hat will power the Pi.  you can pull that off the PS.  See picture below:

IMG_7562

blue block on lower left is power in and it powers the PiHat and Pi.

1 hour ago, mpageler said:

Can you use a single 5v power supply to power both the Raspbery Pi/PiHat and the p10 panels.  

Yes.  You will almost certainly need a power distribution board.  The P-10 panels come with power cords that are a Y cable that feeds two panels from a single source.  The P-5 panels come with the same cable, but you may need to split it apart because the common four or five amp fuse used on distro boards will blow with two P5 panels in full white.  In my case, for my P10 matrix, I have 12 panels, so six power feeds, plus one for the Pi, and one for the ColorLight card.  Perfectly fills one eight position distribution board.  For my P-5 matrix, I have six panels, so again using six power feeds, plus one for the Pi and one for the ColorLight.  Worked out well for me!  This is the distro board I am using (there are others):

https://shop.cfolights.com/product/cfol-distro-8/

2 hours ago, mpageler said:

The micro-USB is what most newer products (except Apple) use.  A few years back it was the mini-USB.  Here is a write up on the various connectors:

https://www.premiumusb.com/blog/whats-the-difference-between-usb-micro-usb-and-lightning