Light-O-Rama Forums

Extension Chords and Waterproofing

aja1216

Jim,

Thanks so much , for the info and pics. Being a audiophile has it's draw backs. I am always looking for the best performance, inside or out.  I want the  music out side to be as full range as I can get it with out being loud enough to raise the dead which means some sort of DSP ,  so that the music emotes the lights for the viewer and draws them in . This year the KEF's did a great job, but the audiophile in me wanted more. So goes my search for added dynamic range which calls for more low frequency. The folks that listen in their car get  "IT" from the fm transmitter,  but for passers by not so much, we had a lot of folks stop and get out of their car.. I will keep everyone posted as to my results.  My whole idea is to give goose bumps and smiles, and generate what is the spirit  of the season with colored lites and music.

Best Regards

David L Hardin  DLH LITES

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I also have permanently installed speakers in the yard

These speakers are awesome I bought mine after reading your article on another thread. For outdoors I was amazed at the sound from the GS5 version. Now I want to add a GS50 8” sub and maybe two more GS5’s. Mine went through being covered in snow and poured on by ice and rain. For the price wow awesome speaker. Now for an audiophile their view point may be different. 

LOR has a pretty decent price on SPT1 wire. I am sure if you look hard enough you may find it cheaper. I think most use SPT1 here. The only difference is the thickness of the shielding. I am sure someone will chime in if there is more. Oh if you are just starting out. I found that 500 ft wasn’t enough for one controller and my props were fairly close. IMO don’t buy the big box store stuff. It’s heavy and over sized. 

http://store.lightorama.com/sptwire.html

Edited by ~DOC~
Grammer
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, aja1216 said:

Hello,

I have 2 Questions:

• Do you make your own extension chords? While doing research I found you can get a spool of wire and connectors
  • How do you waterproof your plugs? most of mine will probably under a layer of snow

Thanks,

AJ

See above answer forgot to hit quote....