Light-O-Rama Forums

Channel assignment

JimCanfield

I am back working on my sequences after a few month break. I finished them all back in February. I was just looking at my channel property grid and I think I made a mess. On one song with the channel config I have 1 controller with 32 circuits instead of 2 controllers with 16 circuits (basically I goofed and instead of controller 1 channel1 and controller 2 and unit 1 I have controller 1 unit 1 twice lol). Then on another song I have a different channel config that looks like I am 2 channels short somehow. I am wondering this. Can I just re assign the channels and just use 1 drawing on the visualizer?

As long as the channels in each sequence are listed in the same order (down the left side of the sequence editor), you should be able to clean up the controller assignments in one sequence and transfer it to the others. You just need to export the correct channel configuration and import it to the other sequences.

By the way, now is a good time to backup your sequences in case something goes wrong when you try to clean them up.

rwertz makes a good point.

My sequences, change a little each year, and I make lighting additions. This probably occurs with most people unless you never change or add anything with the display. I'm repositioning two controllers this year to put them on the upper level eve so I can use less extension cords and wire up the lights faster. Power will come from the attic. I started from scratch on the channel layout so I could get the best advantage of shortest extensions and fast setup.

My sequencer rows are laid out so I can visualize the patterns as I sequence the music. Generally, the flow is from left side of the house to right side as the rows go down.

When assigning controllers and channels, I print out the property grid and print out a photo of my house with controllers marked on the printout of where controllers are placed. Then I fill in the printed grid with channel and controller assignments. This left me look at the complete system and think about the best layout to avoid assignment mistakes.

The last step is that I went into LOR and entered those assignments in the property grid.

As rwertz says, export the assignments so you can easily import into the other songs. In fact, make a backup of those assignments.