Light-O-Rama Forums

Deleting lots of channels

Bubba in NV

I only have a new 16 channel box. It works very well. It is a lot easier to make everything work than I thought it was going to be.

My question, I have downloaded some sequences and converted them to 16 channels. I am working on one now that is a 192 channel sequence that I have got down to 16 channels and it is awsome. Is there a way to delete more than one channel at a time form the 192 channel sequence? It takes about 30 minutes to delete a hundred or so channels one at a time. Or should I not worry about it and leave all those extra channels there, as they are not used anyway.

Thanks.......

My two cents ...

I'd delete any events in the unused channels so events are not being sent to phantom controllers and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, as compulsive as I am I wouldn't be able to sleep nights with a mismatched configuration, so I'd be deleting them even though it doesn't make a bit of difference!

Try using the channel property grid. The red X deletes the channel. Just keep one finger on the left mouse button and one finger on the Enter key (to confirm delete) and you can nuke a channel every couple seconds.

(Assumes you are using LOR2)

Could you not export the channel configuration of another 16 channel sequence and then import it into the sequence that has the 192 channels? This assumes that the 16 said channels are in the same order.

Don't know it this will work or not. I am new to LOR

Paul Roberson wrote:

Could you not export the channel configuration of another 16 channel sequence and then import it into the sequence that has the 192 channels? This assumes that the 16 said channels are in the same order.

No, importing a channel config that has 16 channels into a sequence that has 192 channels won't delete the last 176 channels. It will leave them untouched.

I would go with rwertz's suggestion.

bob wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

No, importing a channel config that has 16 channels into a sequence that has 192 channels won't delete the last 176 channels. It will leave them untouched.

I would go with rwertz's suggestion.

Does deleting controllers also delete the 16 channels associated with it?

rwertz wrote:

Try using the channel property grid. The red X deletes the channel. Just keep one finger on the left mouse button and one finger on the Enter key (to confirm delete) and you can nuke a channel every couple seconds.

(Assumes you are using LOR2)
Rwertz,

I just deleted 500 channels using the two finger method you describe. I think I got it down to almost two deletes per second. :cool:

Charles

Shubb wrote:

Couldn't you copy the 16 ch and paste them into a new sequence?

That should work if you use a fixed timing grid (like me). But I don’t think you can paste custom timings (from the beat wizard etc.) into a new sequence. Since Bubba downloaded his sequences, I’m assuming some of them use custom timing.

rwertz wrote:

Shubb wrote:

That should work if you use a fixed timing grid (like me). But I don’t think you can paste custom timings (from the beat wizard etc.) into a new sequence. Since Bubba downloaded his sequences, I’m assuming some of them use custom timing.

That's one of the beautiful new features of S2!!!

You can copy a sequence with whatever timing marks it has, and paste it into a new sequence with whatever timing marks the new sequence has.
You can even paste it with no timing marks at all. It will still work fine.
(Of course with no timing marks at all, changing or adding would be difficult. But I was just using that as an example.)

This makes modifying old sequences much quicker since you can cut/paste in real time.

Scott

Shubb wrote:

You can copy a sequence with whatever timing marks it has, and paste it into a new sequence with whatever timing marks the new sequence has.

How’d that get there? (I guess I never paid any attention to the copy / paste timing since I’m on a fixed grid.)

Yeah, it's pretty much useless for me. I couldn't sleep at night if I knew one of my sequences had a timing mark that didn't fill the whole cell exactly. When I did copy/paste from another sequence I still had to go back and fill in the whole cell.

I use all .10 timings for the major items and .05 for the arch's and super mini's (48 of them) I guess that's one reason I average 6 hours per minute.

Scott

I really prefer .05 timing. It helps to really hit the beat right on. The copy/paste works great for me. Just start at the upper left most box and drag/highlight the first 16 channels. Then just open a new musical sequence and paste it in the upper left most box.

rwertz wrote:

Shubb wrote:

That should work if you use a fixed timing grid (like me). But I don’t think you can paste custom timings (from the beat wizard etc.) into a new sequence.

You can copy and paste timings, no matter whether they're fixed interval, from the Beat Wizard, or what.

This functionality is available from either the right-click popup menu or the Edit menu.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think after all of that... my answer is ......

No you cannot delet a lot of channels at once.

I have found it is easy to trim a mega channel sequence down to a iddy biddy channel sequence. As long as it more than just mega trees.

I am also finding building from scratch using .10 cells is not that difficult when you just go with one sound and flow it to the end.

But if you want a thrill, make a sequence from a good midi file. It makes the whole thing for you.

Bubba in NV wrote:

I think after all of that... my answer is ......

No you cannot delet a lot of channels at once.

True, but all the options discussed take less than “30 minutes to delete a hundred or so channels” :D