Light-O-Rama Forums

Network selection

Dr. Jones

Here is my dilema

Is there an easier way to select a network for each controller?

Currently - I have to select the network for each channel

Not really practical for over 1200 channels

Have you considered opening up the LMS file in Windows Notepad.exe and exiting it directly? It is in standard XML format.

I assume you are talking about LOR II? You can't do that in LOR I.

By the way LOR, thanks for putting that file into a generic format. I had to go in there a couple of times and edit some things that was a lot more easy and faster than doing it in the program.

Generally, I would not recommed editing a source file directly because you could screw up your sequence. Don't go asking Dan for help if you do. Ya better make a backup ;)

Yes, it's very easy to make a small mistake, when directly editing XML, that will make the file incomprehensible to the Sequence Editor. So please, please make sure that you back up your original copy before every single time that you directly edit the XML.

In notebook I still need to change each channel to a different network

I guess this would be a S2 update request then - a drop down that allows for selection of a particular network when a controller is created

Dr. Jones wrote:

Here is my dilema

Dr. Jones,

Here is the breakdown:

LOR S2 can support 4 networks; BUT
Each network can support 240 unique IDs, AND
Each iDMX can support 16 unique IDs (16x16=256 channels); SO
Each network can have 15 iDMXs connected ; WHICH IS
15x256=3,840 channels per network; OR
3,840 channels x 4 networks=15,360 total channel capacity

One network is all you need for 1200 channels unless you are trying to do something that I am not understanding.

Tonight, I finished inputting all of my channels into an .xml file. Whew, what a job!!!!!!!!

Charles

Dr. Jones,

I forgot this which you may need.

Go to Edit/Preferences/Network Preferences and click the box next to
"list networks in channel configuration".

Then when you go to the Channel Property Grid, you can quickly change the network on any channel. You will still have to do it one at a time, but it will go a lot faster and you can scan your channels to make sure you assigned them as intended.

Charles

Charles

That is what I had to do - still a pain in the a$$ when you have to do it to 1k+ channels. I was hoping I had missed something where I could change the setting on a controller by comtroller basis.

I don't see the need to set the network individually unless you are creating a channel or updating. But I think creating a controller should have an added drop down for the network selection

It might mess someone up, if they have all but one channel on a particular network, and that one channel does not respond

just my $.02

Charles Belcher wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
Here is my dilema

Dr. Jones,

Here is the breakdown:

LOR S2 can support 4 networks; BUT
Each network can support 240 unique IDs, AND
Each iDMX can support 16 unique IDs (16x16=256 channels); SO
Each network can have 15 iDMXs connected ; WHICH IS
15x256=3,840 channels per network; OR
3,840 channels x 4 networks=15,360 total channel capacity

One network is all you need for 1200 channels unless you are trying to do something that I am not understanding.

Tonight, I finished inputting all of my channels into an .xml file. Whew, what a job!!!!!!!!

Charles

I am seperating my dispaly into three maybe four networks. Last year I had some problems with lag from the computer. When examined on a scope it was obvious to see that I was trying to send too much traffic down the pipe.

I am hoping to send the same amount, if not more, down as many networks as i can - Divide and conquer

I also played with the three different settings for the networks and found that DMX ran smoother on the "faster, shorter" network setting - at least my CK stuff ran right on the timings. it was good on the regular network- it missed ocassionally, and was off on the longer setting. (this was 1 iDMX at capacity with 85 rgb nodes and .05 timings)

• 1 month later...