Light-O-Rama Forums

DC-MP3 controller power

bigbth

Hi All,

I picked up the DC-MP3 controller this summer and I'm just now getting around to working with the thing. First problem is power. Can I use some standard DC transformer (like the ones for a game, electric piano, etc.) to power this thing? Assuming it is 50 mA and 9-12 volts? I could attach it to one of the controllers but would prefer to have it as a stand alone device.

Second, can I put three or more shows on one SD card and have the controller switch between the shows based on the day of the week?

Thanks,

Brian

Guest wbottomley

bigbth wrote:

Hi All,

I picked up the DC-MP3 controller this summer and I'm just now getting around to working with the thing. First problem is power. Can I use some standard DC transformer (like the ones for a game, electric piano, etc.) to power this thing? Assuming it is 50 mA and 9-12 volts? I could attach it to one of the controllers but would prefer to have it as a stand alone device.

Second, can I put three or more shows on one SD card and have the controller switch between the shows based on the day of the week?

Thanks,

Brian

you don't need a power brick... the controller daisy chain will provide power for it.

It doesn't work like that now... but might in the future.

Are you saying that it will draw power through the Cat 5 cable? The way it is described in the book is it must be attach to a LOR160xW, to a power supply, or to a computer. The idea was to take the computer out of the loop and use the DC-MP3 to control the show and send music to the radio. Thus the radio transmitter and DC-MP3 would be in the house while the controllers would be outside the house.

Brian

Guest wbottomley

bigbth wrote:

Are you saying that it will draw power through the Cat 5 cable? The way it is described in the book is it must be attach to a LOR160xW, to a power supply, or to a computer. The idea was to take the computer out of the loop and use the DC-MP3 to control the show and send music to the radio. Thus the radio transmitter and DC-MP3 would be in the house while the controllers would be outside the house.

Brian

Now I can help out much more since it's not 1am...

Here's my current set-up:

DSC01025.jpg

If you look at the director card, I only have two network, audio, and interactive connections. The power supply you see is for the transmitter only. My card gets its power from the nearest controllers.

This is from page 9 of the manual:

[align=left]Power Input[/align]
[align=left]Normally, power is supplied by the attached controller via the RJ45 jack(s.) This barrel connector can be used to supply power if:[/align]
[align=left]• the DC-MP3 is more than 50’ from the nearest controller or the controller is an older model that cannot supply enough power[/align]
[align=left]• the DC-MP3 is to be connected to a PC without using a USB485B powered adapter or an attached lighting controller (I.e. using a USB485 or SC485 adapter)[/align]
[align=left]• the DC-MP3 is to be put on a timer or switch to control it (See the Jumper section below in this case) Use a 12 VDC power brick to supply external power to DC-MP3 if needed.[/align]

Nice setup! That looks like a NEMA 4X box. Did you install all the parts and the wire tie stickons?

You don't have any problems running the controller without a separate power supply? Timings good?

[align=left]If that's the case then the statement:[/align]

[align=left]• the DC-MP3 is to be put on a timer or switch to control it (See the Jumper section below in this case) Use a 12 VDC power brick to supply external power to DC-MP3 if needed.[/align]

[align=left]means that you still don't need an external power supply if you are within 50' of the controller and the controller is on continuous power. Because if I needed an external power supply to run it from a switch then I need it to run it all the time. How do I know "if it's needed"?[/align]

[align=left]One other odd question, are the controllers safe from theft when located outside?[/align]

[align=left]Brian[/align]

Guest wbottomley

bigbth wrote:

Nice setup! That looks like a NEMA 4X box. Did you install all the parts and the wire tie stickons?

You don't have any problems running the controller without a separate power supply? Timings good?

[align=left]If that's the case then the statement:[/align]

[align=left]means that you still don't need an external power supply if you are within 50' of the controller and the controller is on continuous power. Because if I needed an external power supply to run it from a switch then I need it to run it all the time. How do I know "if it's needed"?[/align]

[align=left]One other odd question, are the controllers safe from theft when located outside?[/align]

[align=left]Brian[/align]

It's a nema 12 box.... well until I put some holes in it.

The director card has a built-in scheduler. Go to your hardware utility and click on the LOR MP3 tab. Play around with it to familiarize yourself with it now.

I've never ran the director card on an external power source.

Nothing is 100% safe from theives... not even money in the bank.

bigbth wrote:

Brian

HI Brian,

So put the DCMP3 and FM Transmitter in the house...Just run a cat 5 cable to one of the controllers, and it will get its power thru the cat5. I am using PC series controllers and it powers the DCMP3 just fine.

Here is what i did with mine. The "walwart" plug is for the FM transmitter only. I can place this inside my house or outside.. This is an irrigation box I found at Home Depot that had a GFI plug built into it. I velcroed the Ramsey FM25B into the bottom, then the box had a second layer I attached the DCMP3 to..makes a very clean appearance. I do have to ue an extrenal antenna (Ransey TM100) for my FM Transmitter with it packaged like this. THis box also has a key lock on it to.

y1pAxtHx7nD4yyTG_6YXQ_DybaQZjHi-s2Vi2H-2vDtEi89DDB0U95nhQa4kP_6VdRGy1pY1dKSTAoIbQ3tpWnKlthnUzYZtwjnwYrTEO3Pnv4bJHj12BgAvWiw_5nJkriBYYJ

y1pDeHL48hxnVEg_IJj4H-FvU8-CKbSsZqhqG-4MqLJ-LJ-oAkPH1R-uYibB8UTmuuc

• 1 month later...

It does state in the manual that you can remove the jumper beside the pwr input on the Showtime MP3 Director.

However the director card still powers up when the cat5 is hooked to a controller wheather the jumper is on or off.

I want my show set up to "run when power is applied" . I want to be able to leave the controllers plugged up and powered up all the time and control the power to the MP3 director with a timer.

Anyone know how to keep the nearest controller from providing power to the Director card while the cat5 is hooked up?

Thanks

Curious why would you want to turn the DC MP3 on and off with a timer?? You set the show schedule with the show builder, and load it on the SD card. The DC MP3 has an internal clock and does the rest.. It will turn the show on and off when its told to..

With that said, I am going to put my FM transmotter on its own timer.. There is no reason it should be transmitting except during the actual scheduled show times..

mnkyboy wrote:

Curious why would you want to turn the DC MP3 on and off with a timer?? You set the show schedule with the show builder, and load it on the SD card. The DC MP3 has an internal clock and does the rest.. It will turn the show on and off when its told to..

With that said, I am going to put my FM transmotter on its own timer.. There is no reason it should be transmitting except during the actual scheduled show times..

Does the jumper not work like it reads in the manual?

Sometimes I may want to turn the show back on at 1am or so to check out something. If it is set up with a time schedule I would not have that option.

With that being said I guess I could set up a show on 01 with start and stop times and put the same show on 02 with "Plays anytime powered (you provide timer) checked. That way I can switch to 02 and start the show whenever I want.

If you had a spare channel (not likely) you could use it to fire up the transmitter, just leave it on all the time on all sequences.

I know that the DC-MP3 will start based on a trigger but are any of the jumpers also outputs that can be used to switch on the transmitter.

Brian

I also run my DC-MP3 card with an external power supply I picked up at Wal-Mart. The jumper is set as the manual states for using an external supply and my controllers are powered all of the time. The show only starts when the DC-MP3 card gets power, which is from a timer.

I am like Paul in that I sometimes want to start the show at odd times. It is really easy to do with one button on the timer.