Light-O-Rama Forums

Standalone

Guest guest

Jeff,

I exclusively use standalone mode. If you are using the 160X series you have plenty of memory to load a lengthy sequence or show in memory. I use standalone because I do not like the sequenced to music options and I want to program a "show" that repeats itself after a specific amount of time. With the new MP3 player coming out form LOR, I think you will see a lot more people using Standalone mode because you will have more memory to use and you can still sequence to music if you so desire.

Jeff

I use stand alone in various applications. We have one display the uses the new MP3 unit providing music to a Ramsey FM100B and controlling 4 other 16D units for a total of 80 channels. This display ran flawless for 28 days last season.

I also use some 8 channel cards that are preprogrammed with a sequence but are triggered by a channel from another LOR unit. By chaining units together I don't have to program a repetitive sequence everything I want to use it. An example of this is the lighting sequence used on the merry-go-round.

I can see no real reason to drive the show from a computer now that the MP3 units are available. That said it is hard not to enjoy the ohhs and ahh you receive when people visit your control area and see the show on the computer.

I will still use my computer because if I need to edit somthing I can do it instantly and not have to get a card reader and ad an extras step. Also with the computer I can run tests.

---Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

I will still use my computer because if I need to edit somthing I can do it instantly and not have to get a card reader and ad an extras step. Also with the computer I can run tests.

---Daniel L

There is something to be said for this line of logic. In a residential application, connecting to a computer, to me, is the way to go. It gives you much more control.

If I were to do a commercial application, I would be using the MP3 card, with out a doubt.

I have a question, doesnt really fit this topic but I will post it here anyways.

When using a controller standalone with the MP3 controller what tells the sequences to turn on and off? Or in otherwards, what scedules the sequences?

Thanks,
Zac

Zac_Cutt wrote:

I have a question, doesnt really fit this topic but I will post it here anyways.

When using a controller standalone with the MP3 controller what tells the sequences to turn on and off? Or in otherwards, what scedules the sequences?

Thanks,
Zac

Dan has said that you will be able to control the 'on-off' times of the shows in the first version of LORII. Exactly how, he didn't say. Needless to say, I expect it to be fairly easy to figure out once LORII is out.

Zac_Cutt wrote:

When using a controller standalone with the MP3 controller what tells the sequences to turn on and off? Or in other wards, what schedules the sequences?

A timer--controller starts as soon as the timer turns on the MP3 and the transmitter/amplifier.

jeff wrote:

What is needed for standalone operation. Is anybody doing this and do you like it?

Jeff, I used standalone operation for my Halloween display last year, only used the computer for the Christmas display. Standalone is a walk in the park, a piece of cake. IF I can do it anyone can do it. Just be certain that once you have your sequence written that you are completely happy with it. Otherwise, you will add extra work for yourself.

I use my LOR box in standalone mode. I set up the sequence and have used it now for three seasons. It retains the sequence so all I have to do is make the connections and power it up and it is ready to go.

Andy Anderson

So, are all the hobbyist boards capable of standalone? or is there some sort of device I need to buy in order to program the board. I'm new to this sort of thing so bear with me. I know that with VSA they sell a device called RAPU for standalone operation. Do I need something special for LOR boards?

I'm constantly reading the internet trying to understand all this stuff; Basic Stamp, LOR, VSA, Roboware, etc., etc., etc. I did purchase the LOR software about a month ago and am now waiting for the April sale to purchase boards. Hopefully by Christmas I'll be worthy to call myself a LOR user.

Any and all information is so very welcome. Thanks.

Standalone with LOR is very easy.

Program the sequence using the sequence editor.

Upload the sequence to the controller using the Hardware Utility. (You stated you have the full LOR version, so you might have this. If not, it's with the full LOR version. :))

It's that easy. Look in the LOR help file, or the LOR Wiki for more information.

I too use stand alone for my display. My bowling Santa, my Diving Santa, and my 16 mini trees all run sttand alone. The sequence for the two santa is very short and just repeats. The 16 mini trees sequence is long so it doesn't look like it is repeating itself that much. I am adding 32 channels this year for my musical sequences, and I plan on adding a gift tossing Santa that will toss gifts over the driveway to the trees I have set up on the other side (that will also be stand alone) I plan on running the musical sequences on the hour and half hour for about 7 minutes or so, then the static display the rest of the time.