Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio source

tvweather62

Hey there,

We run our Showtime from 5pm to 1am, but only run our speakers from 5 to 9pm

We use boomboxes set on timers to play, but they're not very loud and when it gets really crowded, it's often hard to hear them.

Thought of using direct speaker, but can't think of a way to run the show, and only run the speakers for a specific period of time.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

When you saw "Showtime" are you referring to software or the Showtime Director?

If you only run speakers from 5-9, I'm guessing you just have lights doing stuff after 9pm. If that's the case, then you would just configure a second show to run at 8pm, but it would only contain animation.

I run my show from 6-10pm, and an animation (well, reallly a slow repeating animation with a “show is over for the night” voiceover) from 10pm-1am.  

I have two components to the audio system: An amp and outdoor speakers, and an FM transmitter. 

The amp is controlled by my home automation system, which turns on power to the entire show (amp, controllers, etc) at 5:59pm.   It also shuts off the amp at 10:05pm (enough time for a song that might start at 9:59pm to finish and the “goodnight” message to play).   

At 1am, the system cuts power to everything. 

You might want to consider something similar. 

I use the Showtime Director.  So, it's just a controller, and the fm transmitter in the 2nd unit.

Just an SD card in the fm transmitter, and it plays. Trying to figure out a set up with THIS, that would

allow me to keep playing the music on the transmitter (for cars), but no speakers.

46 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

Hey there,

We run our Showtime from 5pm to 1am, but only run our speakers from 5 to 9pm

We use boomboxes set on timers to play, but they're not very loud and when it gets really crowded, it's often hard to hear them.

Thought of using direct speaker, but can't think of a way to run the show, and only run the speakers for a specific period of time.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

I use this speaker. It's perfect. It can really get loud if you want it. I'm currently only about 30% and you hear it fine in the street. You could use the timer you already have to plug this speaker into. One thing I love about it, besides the sound quality, is that it remembers the volume and if it was on or not. So the cheapo yard timers do work - that's what I do.

https://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

4 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I use this speaker. It's perfect. It can really get loud if you want it. I'm currently only about 30% and you hear it fine in the street. You could use the timer you already have to plug this speaker into. One thing I love about it, besides the sound quality, is that it remembers the volume and if it was on or not. So the cheapo yard timers do work - that's what I do.

https://www.wowlights.com/ProductDetail.asp?Category=24&Product=513

So, is this correct?

You plug the speaker into the Showtime Director controller...box where fm transmitter is, but there is still no power to it unless the actual speaker is plugged into a power source?

And by using a timer, that power source will go on and off when you choose?

1 hour ago, tvweather62 said:

So, is this correct?

You plug the speaker into the Showtime Director controller...box where fm transmitter is, but there is still no power to it unless the actual speaker is plugged into a power source?

I'm also using ShowTime Central with that same outdoor speaker (which sounds great BTW), and it's connected to the extra jack on the MiniDirector's audio cable with a long audio cable.    ShowTime Central's 12V adapter is plugged into a timer that runs the show from 4 pm - 11:30 pm.  The speaker is plugged into its own timer that turns the speaker on from 3:30 pm - 9:30 pm.  I have it set to turn on earlier than ShowTime Central because I want to make sure that it's already on when the show starts.  The FM transmitter is still transmitting the music on 96.5 FM even after the speaker turns off.

I actually have a 3rd timer for our Nativity scene that turns it on from 3:00 pm - midnight.

The entire setup has been running flawlessly like that on auto-pilot since day 1 (Thanksgiving night).  I actually started using this 3-timer setup in early Dec last year so the show would run if we were away and the outdoor speaker wouldn't stay on past a certain time. 

Edited by Speedster

1 hour ago, tvweather62 said:

So, is this correct?

yes

18 minutes ago, tvweather62 said:

Awesome! I just ordered. Thanks! What kind of speaker cable do I need? Specific adapters?

You'll be quite pleased with the sound quality.  I'm using a 3.5mm (1/8") male to male stereo audio cable.

9 hours ago, Speedster said:

You'll be quite pleased with the sound quality.  I'm using a 3.5mm (1/8") male to male stereo audio cable.

yep - all it takes.

• The topic was locked