Light-O-Rama Forums

Paranoid

~DOC~

8 hours ago, martsycart said:

It might just be my untrusting nature, but I’ve been paranoid about sharing my address with other LOR users for fear of having my controller stolen. I would hope anyone on these forums would never do such a thing, but there always seems to be one out there. 

I lean towards trusting the other lighters. Some really good friendships have been made by sharing addresses. We learn techniques & ideas by seeing each other’s displays in person. And we help each other out in many ways. Before I was smart enough to keep a backup controller, Santas Helper graciously loaned me an extra one of his. My show went on that year!

We also helped a lighter move his entire display from one house to another house —— in one day. Including his Rohn Tower Mega Tree. Was a priceless experience. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I lean towards trusting the other lighters. Some really good friendships have been made by sharing addresses. We learn techniques & ideas by seeing each other’s displays in person. And we help each other out in many ways. Before I was smart enough to keep a backup controller, Santas Helper graciously loaned me an extra one of his. My show went on that year!

We also helped a lighter move his entire display from one house to another house —— in one day. Including his Rohn Tower Mega Tree. Was a priceless experience. 

Ran out of "Likes". So... Like

And very well said Daniel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, martsycart said:

It might just be my untrusting nature, but I’ve been paranoid about sharing my address with other LOR users for fear of having my controller stolen. I would hope anyone on these forums would never do such a thing, but there always seems to be one out there. 

I live in the country, but this still worried me. The first thing I did was run cable to secure the boxes. They’re not that robust and keep most from trying to take them. A determine professional will get them. 

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Just so you know, as far as I know in my 7+ years on the forum, no one has ever reported having a controller stolen...

It's not all that hard to secure them at least reasonably well.

I seem to recall a few years ago someone had controllers stolen out of the shed in back of their house.  I do recall a few stories here and there on this forum about stolen controllers.  And as far as I know, they never got them back either.

It’s so dark at my house- no street lights. I do have a nice video color night vision video security system and a nice warning sign.

If they still find it in their interest to go beyond my drive I have sensors that will alert me.

Depending on what sensor helps me determine what method of LED poisoning inducer I may need.

id think anyone stealing LOR equipment may be trying to post on here “how do I get my stolen stuff to work”.

The closest ones they could get to in my property is the mega tree with 4 ctb16’s However they would kill themselves trying to get through the 12800 lights and make a complete racket trying to unbolt theM from the tree. They’d have to get past the sensors first and by that time would probably have a nice red or green circle on their chest.

Digs and cats can’t even wonder around in our NH without a FB entry let alone someone sound bad things. With all

of the cameras here they get caught very quick.

JR

5 minutes ago, Orville said:

I seem to recall a few years ago someone had controllers stolen out of the shed in back of their house.  I do recall a few stories here and there on this forum about stolen controllers.  And as far as I know, they never got them back either.

I received a text from a LOR member the other day- Christmas morning he woke up to a nice typed up note.

Apologizing to him for taking his equipment but the theif couldn’t afford to upgrade with his own funds so figured he’d use his funds instead.

Im surprised the story hasn’t been posted here yet but perhaps LEO working it.

JR

7 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I received a text from a LOR member the other day- Christmas morning he woke up to a nice typed up note.

Apologizing to him for taking his equipment but the thief couldn’t afford to upgrade with his own funds so figured he’d use his funds instead.

I'm surprised the story hasn’t been posted here yet but perhaps LEO working it.

JR

Only justice in that for me is if I caught the fool, they're going to be missing 2 feet and 2 hands, they'll NEVER be able to do that again!  And this punishment is still too good for them!

Edited by Orville

Just now, Orville said:

Only justice in that for me is if I caught the fool, they're going to missing 2 feet and 2 hands, they'll NEVER be able to do that again!  And this punishment is still too good for them!

Yes, hopefully the forum member will share the story. I think at Halloween or around someone took a bunch of his extension cords as well.

Though it won’t help in some cases it may be time to engrave your stuff.

When I had my farm I had trail cameras, on the outside cover and inside I used a sharpie and put “this camera will never be sold, if it appears in your area please call ... and I put my phone number.

Would make sense to do it on controllers as well.

JR

14 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes, hopefully the forum member will share the story. I think at Halloween or around someone took a bunch of his extension cords as well.

Though it won’t help in some cases it may be time to engrave your stuff.

When I had my farm I had trail cameras, on the outside cover and inside I used a sharpie and put “this camera will never be sold, if it appears in your area please call ... and I put my phone number.

Would make sense to do it on controllers as well.

JR

My controllers are all marked INSIDE and OUTSIDE.  I label everything, including my blow molds and everything else in my display.   If someone wants to steal anything from my display, they're going to need at least 4 to 6+ different type screw drivers and as many different sockets to take it down, they're going to have to cut a bazillion zip ties off cords, cat cables and the like to remove any ONE item in my display.     Yes, takes me more time to set up and take down, but I've never had anything stolen, they tried one year and found out they couldn't get anything and almost became shishkabob!

Have garland around {zip tied to} many of my cords to hide them, and they are also secured with screw down cable clamps, using variations of different screw types.  By the time they would get the first thing started to try and take loose, the noise from attempting to get anything will have me outside real quick.   

And I'll be bearing a Confederate Battle Sword I inherited from my wifes side of the family, and I'll run that bugger through if they don't high-tail it out of my yard and away from MY property as soon as they see me coming!

Edited by Orville

5 hours ago, dibblejr said:

They’d have to get past the sensors first and by that time would probably have a nice red or green circle on their chest.

Nice. That spot Is always a quick deterrent 

When my computer gets auto updates, or reboots for whatever odd reason,  the show will not start.   Thus,  I try to be here when it's time to launch for the night.    Props, lights, etc, need to be monitored pretty much every day for issues, anyway  (wind, weather, vandals,  dead lights/pixels).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 8:41 AM, Dcroc said:

When my computer gets auto updates, or reboots for whatever odd reason,  the show will not start.   Thus,  I try to be here when it's time to launch for the night.    Props, lights, etc, need to be monitored pretty much every day for issues, anyway  (wind, weather, vandals,  dead lights/pixels).

Turn auto updates off. Turn sleep hibernation off. You can keep the screen to turn off on. I basically turn off most anything that runs with out me to tell it to run. Sometimes that takes a little research to determine what...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked