Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX moving heads

ebrown1972

4 hours ago, default said:

Eric,

What version of Xlights are you refering to? I used Xlights a long time ago and don't remember seeing anything like this. Is there a tutorial video somewhere? I am always on the look out new ways to do things and would be very interested to see the Xlights approach.

Alan....

Check this out

Thank you all for the info, like I said it's been awhile since i looked at Xlights, guess I'm on my way to d/l now.

Alan...

14 minutes ago, default said:

Thank you all for the info, like I said it's been awhile since i looked at Xlights, guess I'm on my way to d/l now.

Alan...

I am wondering if there is a way to sequence them in xlights and then convert to a clipboard file back to Lor? Not sure if this is possible. Let me know how your progress goes Alan. Thanks

Edited by ebrown1972

2 minutes ago, compfire said:

I would also love to see LOR add a prop. for the moving heads in one of their next updates.

Absolutely. This would be a great feature. Keeping my fingers crossed that we see something in the near future. 

• 2 months later...

I agree with you  both, would love to see LOR come up with something like this for moving heads.

The weather covers are very expensive does anyone have any ideas how to make the weather covers?  A video of how they are built  and where to buy the materials would be awesome. (I priced covers and they are more then most of the  lights.)

I am in Illinois and we get a a lot of snow and rain so my setup is usually out till March, I had to cover my moving heads up with big plastic tubs and bungee cord them to the ground when it rains and snows.  (It was aggravating that I could not use them during the show when it rained or snowed.)

Thanks in advance.

There are inflatable covers which normally run $200 or less. They do protect the entire mover against rain but snow would probably be an issue. Depending on the size of your movers, sites like 1000bulbs make large, clear acrylic globes that could help you build your own. You'd just need to solve for mounting and ventilation.

• 1 month later...

I am adding moving heads to my display this year. The way I approached it was by physically mapping where I wanted the light to point (specific props or locations in my yard) or the path I wanted it to take. This took about 30 minutes with a long tape measure. Then with Excel, determined the DMX values for the PAN or TILT the head to get to a specific point or path using Trig. My moving head, for example, can PAN 540 degrees with  0 - 255. so I know that each degree of movement correlates to 2.1 DMX values. I calculated the degrees in Excel using a right triangle and then using the 2.1 DMX value per degree, quickly calculated on the Horizon  (PAN value) what I wanted and where. For a sweeping motion I grabbed a handful of points and used the "FILL" feature in LOR to fill in between the points. On the bench, looks great. Just hoping my math is correct as I do not want to re-do the "course" of the moving head once the display is up. I will probably put 1 light up, as a test, and run it's course as soon as the summer evenings kick in

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 11:14 AM, KR light show said:

I agree with you  both, would love to see LOR come up with something like this for moving heads.

The weather covers are very expensive does anyone have any ideas how to make the weather covers?  A video of how they are built  and where to buy the materials would be awesome. (I priced covers and they are more then most of the  lights.)

I am in Illinois and we get a a lot of snow and rain so my setup is usually out till March, I had to cover my moving heads up with big plastic tubs and bungee cord them to the ground when it rains and snows.  (It was aggravating that I could not use them during the show when it rained or snowed.)

Thanks in advance.

I purchased 4 cheaper moving heads a while back to get the feel for things. I probably will not use them in my show. Next year I will most likely purchase 4 of the 230 or 350w versions. Daniel Zhang offers the 350w version that is IP66 rated for outdoor use so no need for the globes. They are pricey and very heavy but I just know I would not be satisfied with the cheaper ones I have.

I plan on using those round kid sleds as soon ss they show up in stores, as a type of umbrella over them.  Been working on sequencing them, heck of a lot of work

Been playing around with sequencing the DMX moving head, tedious but could merit some neat effects. I need to put the equivalent of a sine wave into the sequence and then offset it by 180 degrees (cosine) into the pan and tilt so the head does a circle. Any quick tricks to do something like this? I'll try the intelligent fades but since they are straight slopes, will probably be to abrupt movements