Light-O-Rama Forums

Falcon F-Amp Pixel Data Signal Booster

mpageler

Was catching up with videos on a hobbyist's YouTube channel and stumble on the follinwing video.  It's a overview/test of the Falcon F-Amp pixel signal booster.   With the only video I've found on the F-Amp and no past LORthread on it, thought I would share it with you.  

Falcon F-Amp Demo

While I really like this guy's videos, the entro on this video is kind of annoying so fast forward the first minute. 

$21  for a 5 pack  

F-Amp Product Page

They are not really a booster, all they do is regenerate the signal and pass it to the next pixel so in reality all they are is a null pixel.

I believe they don't take a pixel count.  Therefore, if you find that you need a null pixel someplace, you don't have to either change your channel configuration or convince your pixel controller that there is a null pixel (some do that better than others - especially if it's at an odd location).

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, k6ccc said:

I believe they don't take a pixel count.  Therefore, if you find that you need a null pixel someplace, you don't have to either change your channel configuration or convince your pixel controller that there is a null pixel (some do that better than others - especially if it's at an odd location).

You are correct, they do not require a channel assignment.  They just regenerate and pass on the signal in its entirety

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ~DOC~ said:

Are they usable with LOR pixies. I came across these the other day also and wonder if the would help.

Should be.  Not tested (by me) however...

Note that they are three wire (no clock).  So they won't with any pixels that use a clock wire - which includes the original LOR CCPs, CCBs, and CCRs.

Yea I saw they were 3 wire. Couple my runs may go 30 ft for data next year so the topic interested me.

I plan to run a test here during our coldest month with the exact amount of pixels see how they act. If they act up maybe see how these work. Of course I will check voltage first.

Edited by ~DOC~

Yea, I am going to do some testing to determine if I need some.  I will be adding some candy canes next year and from the last pixel in one cane to the first pixel in the next one will be close to 15 feet.  I'm not worried about the length from the controller to the first pixel, but only between candy canes.  It would be easy to add an F-Amp at the bottom of each cane before the cable runs over to the next cane.  That would put the F-Amp between five and six feet after the last pixel in each cane, and six to ten feet before the first pixel in the next cane.