Light-O-Rama Forums

Getting Started With PIxels

PatrickL

So I've kind of been going back and forth on how to start using more pixels.

I started out this year with a 16 x 25 pixel tree kit.  It's got me thinking that I'd like to do an outline of my house.

I would like to do something similar to the attached picture.  

Not sure where to start, what controller(s) would be best. 

The more I read, the more I am confused. 

What suggestions would you recommend to get started on an outline similar to this?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick

HouseOutline.PNG

You need dimensions for EACH line so you can calculate the number of nodes (count per foot).

Then you can figure where the feeds should be (I use 100 nodes per PIXIE port without injection).

Then figure out where the controllers go, remembering you have a limited distance to the first node of every port (15' is safe on older pixies)

See, not all locations will have the same controllers (although, if your budget allows. having extra ports does not hurt)

12 hours ago, TheDucks said:

You need dimensions for EACH line so you can calculate the number of nodes (count per foot).

Then you can figure where the feeds should be (I use 100 nodes per PIXIE port without injection).

Then figure out where the controllers go, remembering you have a limited distance to the first node of every port (15' is safe on older pixies)

See, not all locations will have the same controllers (although, if your budget allows. having extra ports does not hurt)

my son and I measured it out to approximately 340 total feet.  My longest runs are just over 30 feet, so I figured on having to break those into 2 runs.

I think I have a good idea of where to place the controllers. I'm thinking one Pixie 4, two Pixie 8's and one Pixie 16. 

I'd only be using 21 or 23 of the 36 ports, so it gives me some expansion for the future. With 6-8 ports open near the ground and 7 or so on the roof.

Any recommendations on power supplies that work well with the Pixie controllers?

Thanks for your help!

House Controller Setup.jpg

• Like 1

I use the 33A Weather resistant ones from HC on the outside -back of my CG1500 enclosures (I can put 2 because my enclosures are closet pole mounted. I have a Pixie4 and a CMB24 in each enclosure)  to avoid the PSU's heat. Others use the interior ones.

Designers choice.: Inside-Outside Ohio probably does not have many days above 60 during show season, so cooling may not be an issue.

Note these supplies are ON at near idle, 24/7. My idle power for 2 @ ctb16's and 3 PSU's  (1 Pixie4 2 @ CMB24) is 50W

If I understand your notation  3/8 means 3 ports used of a Pixie8 ? What are you planning for node spacing?

Just tossing ideas:

For example, the Garage door border  is typ  27'.  That is 1or 2 port (100 nodes) of HC 12V Bullets (6A power budget all white), not 3

Maybe run Windows 1 & 2 from the Wreath controller 5 of 8 leaving 3 spares. the lower windows now can be a Pixie 8 (6 of 8 )   (the reasoning: less spares, you now have 3 pixie 8's)

Are floods in your future? leaving room for a CMB24 in the enclosure might be a plus.  (a Pixie 8 or 16 will fit where I have a Pixie4, but I would have serious PSU load issues with just my PSUs if I went up to a Pixie 16)

FWIW My longest Smart node run is 86 nodes (22'), I still have dumb  nodes on the ridge So please remember, I am just tossing ideas. I am still (and always be) a novice lighter.

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

If I understand your notation  3/8 means 3 ports used of a Pixie8 ? What are you planning for node spacing?

Yes, 3/8 means 3 ports used of the Pixie8

I was considering 3" spacing.

I was thinking of the Pixie 16 near the ground just to be able to maybe add other props in the future.

So I just bought the four controllers and four  - 12v / 29 amps / 350 Watts Power supplies from HC.

- One Pixie 4

- Two PIxie 8

- One Pixie 16

Next I need to get the pixels.  

Any thoughts on these?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCQP7KP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AWDHA2H8OE6J8&psc=1

or have a recommendation on where to get pixels without the insane shipping.

Thanks again for all the help

42 minutes ago, PatrickL said:

So I just bought the four controllers and four  - 12v / 29 amps / 350 Watts Power supplies from HC.

- One Pixie 4

- Two PIxie 8

- One Pixie 16

Next I need to get the pixels.  

Any thoughts on these?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCQP7KP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AWDHA2H8OE6J8&psc=1

or have a recommendation on where to get pixels without the insane shipping.

Thanks again for all the help

Those look like what HC used to sell (and most of what I have). Now they include w/p connectors (and they have 3 core cords that make everything easy. just remember, cords are not universal. You are buying into their ecosystem. )

I used plastic plumbers tape, and a 12MM step reamer (part of a set from Amazon) to drill every 4th hole.  ( that  = 12' for 50 nodes). That means you need at least 30 @ 50cnt strings and 90A of power TOTAL (you might be on the edge on some of the Pixie 8's with just 1 supply for both banks. Calculate the node PER CONTROLLER . you might want to get an extra supply, pigtails and various length cords. I found 15", 10'+pigtails was solid for my 80cnt )

If you haven't figured, all the bits and pieces add up fast. You still need enclosures (many use the Cableguard CG-1500 do shop for these, a bulk buy saves, even if you don't need all now (~$20). HC has accessory plates to mount the PS inside

US Shipping is not terrible if you don't want rush.

On 12/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, Mr. P said:

You will definitely need more power supplies as the Pixie16 will use two of the ones you have listed.

Just curious what size power supply is in the kit LOR sells. I don’t see spec for it. It only shows one power supply?

http://store.lightorama.com/12vbl16sqpip.html

28 minutes ago, ~DOC~ said:

Just curious what size power supply is in the kit LOR sells. I don’t see spec for it. It only shows one power supply?

http://store.lightorama.com/12vbl16sqpip.html

I don't know but if you just figure a 50 pixel string at 36w x 16 strings = 576w total. It all comes down to the specs of the lights but with 16 ports I can almost guarantee you will need more then 350w.

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I don't know but if you just figure a 50 pixel string at 36w x 16 strings = 576w total. It all comes down to the specs of the lights but with 16 ports I can almost guarantee you will need more then 350w.

Don’t doubt the math so I started another thread not to run over this one.

14 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Those are 100 node strings. I estimate 96A, over a KW 😮 They did say Meanwell supply with extra cooling in the BOM

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Those are 100 node strings. I estimate 96A, over a KW 😮 They did say Meanwell supply with extra cooling in the BOM

On average a 50 pixel string will go 36w. Read the description in a popular ws2811 string.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Pixel-Node-With-Waterproof-Connections-p/711-wp.htm

55 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

On average a 50 pixel string will go 36w. Read the description in a popular ws2811 string.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/12mm-Pixel-Node-With-Waterproof-Connections-p/711-wp.htm

100 pixel strings

100 pixel strings draw ~ 6A

100 pixels  read the LOR sheet. NOT 50

16 * 6A = 96A  That probably is 2 banks 48A

8 hours ago, TheDucks said:

100 pixel strings

100 pixel strings draw ~ 6A

100 pixels  read the LOR sheet. NOT 50

16 * 6A = 96A  That probably is 2 banks 48A

I was just giving a generic example of the average pixel string. LOR does sell ws2811 50 count pixel strings that are only 15w as compared to the average of 36w. However they do not list the specs for the 100 pixel strings.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

I was just giving a generic example of the average pixel string. LOR does sell ws2811 50 count pixel strings that are only 15w as compared to the average of 36w. However they do not list the specs for the 100 pixel strings.

I agree, the specs are thin ;) I bet they are not as bright as those 36W strings (which I have a bunch of) .

But, another question when sizing supplies: How long do you run ALL WHITE in any show? I am a firm believer on running (the majority) below the 80% rating. A few 100% peaks should do no harm (and none of us know how much headroom is left after that. just better to not push into that territory)

8 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I agree, the specs are thin ;) I bet they are not as bright as those 36W strings (which I have a bunch of) .

But, another question when sizing supplies: How long do you run ALL WHITE in any show? I am a firm believer on running (the majority) below the 80% rating. A few 100% peaks should do no harm (and none of us know how much headroom is left after that. just better to not push into that territory)

I am work now talking to some electrical engineers in my group there getting me there🤯

I also noticed the 15w pixels sold by LOR. Had me scratching my head since most are 36w. Hence I do also wonder if their pixels are as bright.