Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with CCB Please!

PhilW0

Hi, there.  A few years ago I bought some Cosmic Color Bulbs (5 controllers, each with two strings) but never had time to set them up until this year.  I tested all the units (one was bad on one side) and I am using three of them on a tree in my yard, with five light strings.  It's a simple spiral wrap of the tree.

I tested all three of those controllers just prior to installation without any issues.  Once I had them on the tree and wired to my PC (same PC I tested with), I had some issues.  Using the hardware utility, two strings respond to "all on" commands (e.g. units 1 and 2 both respond, with one unit selected in the HU).  I have tried resetting the unit numbers with HU and it seems to work individually but when I have the three controllers all hooked up I get this behaviour.  Also, when running some sequences I get flashing on one of the strings on the first unit.  If all lights fade from one colour to another simultaneously it is fine, but when I do chases or other effects I get flashing.  I should mention I did reset the two confused controllers with the internal button (pressed during power-up) before I used HU to reset unit numbers.

I have the red USB RS485 adapter, and about 90' of cat6 cable between it and the tree, then about 6' each from one box to the next.  The kits I bought were the CB100D DMX and controllers do have the latest firmware (1.21 I believe).

To get through Christmas I am just using simple colour fades but would love to be more elaborate in my sequencing.  Also, I want to get more lights to put on the house and elsewhere but given this problem not sure I really want to keep investing.

Any ideas, please?

When you used the Hardware Utility to change the Unit IDs, did you have all the controllers connected or were you only connected to one controller at a time?  If you had all three controllers connected and you issue the HU command to change Unit IDs, you will change all three controllers.

The flashing almost sounds like a sequencing issue.  If you send me the sequence, I will happily take a look.  If so, please tell me in as much detail as possible when in the sequence the problem is happening.  I will PM my address to you.

Thanks.  When I changed the unit numbers, all three were connected but only one at a time had power to it.  I did wonder if that mattered but I don't think it does.  Now, sadly, there is snow on the ground and I dare not open the controllers for fear of damp getting inside.  Which means I cannot unplug the network cables, of course.

I will send you the sequence - thank you!  I don't believe it's the sequence itself but I would love to be wrong about that.

Phil

Fixed!  It was a simple (newbie) case of the first controller being set for dual normal and the other two for normal.  And the sequence was programmed all for normal.  So commands to unit 2 were confusing things.

I have ensured that all controllers are on normal now and all is well.

Thanks, again, Jim, for your help.