Light-O-Rama Forums

Live Show Edits

ndutton

Comment basis: 5.2.2 PRO

I cant be the only one that recognizes this issue. The show is live, there are 50 sequences (by example), #14 is currently playing and you spot a small issue. The show moves on to sequence #15, so you jump into the SEQ editor to make the change/update to #14. It's at this point where you want to click file and follow through to 'create playback files' for that one #14 sequence. You want to do this now so you don't forget or so that when the show cycles through to play #14 again, its fixed.

Here lies the problem. You have to stop the show to do this point. Why? 

Surely the show file (LSS) only needs to care about the currently playing LMS file being locked - why does it lock all LMS files in the current show? Maybe I am missing something in the architecture here but surely this could be re-architected to allow live updates on sequences not currently active?

Edited by ndutton

You don’t have to stop the show to create playback files - or at least it never has for me in the past.

Now I’m going to have to try it again...

I am very interested to hear your result,  because if you are right I really need to understand what I have done wrong all this time.

You are doing something wrong.  Let me describe my test.

1)  Open S5.2.2 on show computer.

2) Open my Merry Christmas announcement .loredit file

3)  Add outline and one multicolor string to the entire length of the 10 second clip on Singing face #2 (face #1 does the announcement).

4)  Save the file - I did NOT change the filename (unusual for me)

5) Create Playback files

6) Using MIIP, call up that announcement as the next song

7) Watched one of my security cameras and both MIIP Connect Web View and the LOR Status panel to verify that the file played.  Also listened to the audio via TeamViewer.  LOR detected the change and re-created the compressed sequence as seen by the log extract:

17:36:13: Loading sequence: L:\Sequences\Christmas 2018\Merry Christmas Ann 2018-11-21a.play.lms
17:36:13: Exporting compressed sequence for L:\Sequences\Christmas 2018\Merry Christmas Ann 2018-11-21a.play.lms
17:36:13: Starting Musical: L:\Sequences\Christmas 2018\Merry Christmas Ann 2018-11-21a.play.lms
17:36:16: Current show's contents have changed
17:36:16: Current show is entering shutdown mode
17:36:24: Ending Musical: L:\Sequences\Christmas 2018\Merry Christmas Ann 2018-11-21a.play.lms

The two 17:37:16 entries are a function of using MIIP

It's a crappy picture because the camera can't handle the dynamic light level well, but you can see both singing face trees are lit and the right one only has diagonal strings on the tree.

Add_second_singing_face.jpg

In other words, it worked.

BTW, cool exercise - I did it all from 26 miles away...

So I just tried editing a sequence that was already played sometime ago in an active show right now and it worked. I am *guessing* here but I think that potentially a file doesn't unlock immediately after it is played. There are maybe some clean up tasks or cache clearances that need to happen and I just happen to try and fix something too quickly.

More experimentation needed here :)

N

P.S. I now also have a random light come on in a published sequence done for test purposes just like you ;)

I think this was my mistake. Previously i have preloaded the sequences, this year I accidentally had each sequence load as required. I *think* when you preload the sequences they get locked and therefore cant be edited. This year because i forgot to do that i can edit.

on a side note since realizing this i went back to a preload situation and the whole show has been a lot more stable and so far hasn’t hung. Might be something to investigate with respect to my other thread.

n