Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC and Pixie 2 issues

Seayya

Hello,

I bought my first LOR system (Showtime Central Starter package with one additional CTB16PCtwo years ago.  I recently bought another CTB16PC and a CCCII with 2 CCR II.  All my items were bought new from LOR with cables. 

I have gone into the hardware utility and set each of the CTB16PC's to Unit 1, 2 and 3.  I have also assigned the Pixie2 to unit 4.  When doing this I tested each controller one at a time and everything works.  When I hook everything together the Hardware Utility does not see the Pixie2 (Unit 4).  Possibly a bad cable?  I know it is new but still could be bad.  Has power going to it and can even see it lighting up a few Pixels on both arches during a sequence but that is all.  I have my Pixie2 on two arches that I did cut the ribbons in half.  They test fine when in Hardware Utility.

Also, I have noticed now that my original controllers (Unit 1 & 2) will not work during a sequence, but test fine in the Hardware Utility.  I have noticed there is a different firmware version  one the first 2 controllers vs my new one. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

What speed  have you set?

What color adapter?  Are the CTB16PC's Gen 3's

You probably need to run at 115K (the official Max of the Black) or get a Red and run at 500K.

Or use 2 networks if those 16's are G2's because they can't do faster than 115K

And how did you set the address on the Pixie-II? It used DIP switches on the board. You do not set the address in the Hardware Utility.

54 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

What speed  have you set?

What color adapter?  Are the CTB16PC's Gen 3's

You probably need to run at 115K (the official Max of the Black) or get a Red and run at 500K.

Or use 2 networks if those 16's are G2's because they can't do faster than 115K

I had to leave the house for a bit but I believe I have the speed set to 115K.  

Adapter is black.

Not for sure what version the CTB16PC's are, but will check when I get home.  I know the Mini Director is Gen3.

43 minutes ago, Don said:

And how did you set the address on the Pixie-II? It used DIP switches on the board. You do not set the address in the Hardware Utility.

I did set it through the Hardware Utility.  It would work as assigned as Unit 4 for a few minutes then would show up as Unit 1.  Then when hooked up to my Unit 3 it wouldn't show up at all. 

Also, When testing Units 1 through 3 (the CTB16PC's) would also make my arches light some which is the Pixie2.

21 minutes ago, Seayya said:

I did set it through the Hardware Utility.  It would work as assigned as Unit 4 for a few minutes then would show up as Unit 1.  Then when hooked up to my Unit 3 it wouldn't show up at all. 

Also, When testing Units 1 through 3 (the CTB16PC's) would also make my arches light some which is the Pixie2.

It might accept the HU setting, but it will revert to the switches (1-8),  if any are on (just like many other boards).  IIRC Pixies are shipped with these OFF, because it is more difficult to get at.

Your Pixie is defaulting to Unit 1 on the dip switches so it is not showing up because you already have a 1. You need to open the Pixie up and turn all the dip switches off then set the ID in the HU to 4.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

It might accept the HU setting, but it will revert to the switches (1-8),  if any are on (just like many other boards).  IIRC Pixies are shipped with these OFF, because it is more difficult to get at.

On the contrary, pixies as with every other controller I know have been shipped from LOR with the unit ID 01. With the pixies that means that the factory turned "on" the dip switch. Therefore the user must open the box and either turn the only dip switch in the on position to "off". Then use the dip switch to set the new unit ID or the preferred method of using the HU to set the unit ID.

*** The exception are units that the version came out before dip switches were added.

JR

3 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

or the preferred method of using the HU to set the unit ID

Not arguing, just wondering. Is this a personal preference, or one that has been expressed by LOR?

Just now, Don said:

Not arguing, just wondering. Is this a personal preference, or one that has been expressed by LOR?

My preferred method. When I beta tested the Pixie there were no dip switches. Also if you use the dip switches to set the unit ID and later need to change it , once again you have to open the unit. When you receive the pixie and it has dip switches turn the dip switch all off, Use HU to set it and you will never have to open the unit to set the unit ID, Less moving parts,

JR

• Like 1

The Dip switches was set to ID Unit 1 so I did switch them off.  Then went to HU and set it to Unit 4 and it seems to be working like it supposed to.  I can test all 4 controller like and they test correctly.  Unfortunately now when playing my sequences that I have been working on for 2018 my original controllers 1 & 2 will not work.  I then played some sequences from last year and they work perfect.  I know now that the controllers are working, but have no clue why they will not work on this year sequences.  The only thing different is I have added sequences for the 3rd and 4th controller.  SMH!  So ready to enjoy the show and the season, but still have to work on adding my RGB arches to my current sequences.  

I greatly appreciate everyone's help in getting my Pixie 2 online and working.  Now to get the programming done.  

• The topic was locked