Light-O-Rama Forums

Back it up, Back it up, Back it up

tikilights

Had a serious crash this morning just shortly after braggingg on here about having over an hour and a half of Halloween show ready, I was thinking, gee I should back this up, moments later, CRASH!
Fortunately I yanked the hard drive, linked it to my other pc, and was able to get to almost my hard work I've spent countless mindnumbing hours sequencing, did lose a few small things but nothing special....
So now after all day of formatting, reloading windows, I have it back up, just have to go song by song and reset all the settings, then backup, backup, backup, every damn day, backitup! You've been warned!

Guest wbottomley

tikilights wrote:

Had a serious crash this morning just shortly after braggingg on here about having over an hour and a half of Halloween show ready, I was thinking, gee I should back this up, moments later, CRASH!
Fortunately I yanked the hard drive, linked it to my other pc, and was able to get to almost my hard work I've spent countless mindnumbing hours sequencing, did lose a few small things but nothing special....
So now after all day of formatting, reloading windows, I have it back up, just have to go song by song and reset all the settings, then backup, backup, backup, every damn day, backitup! You've been warned!

Just an idea... before loading your pc with all kinds of files, use G4L to burn an image to an external hard drive. Then next time it crashes, reverse the image and you're ready in a hour or two.

But, backing up LOR files is a must. LOR is stable but every pc is not.

Mine are backed up on a external drive and a file server so a show pc can reach them.

You can never have too many backups. The price of the media (flash drive, floppy disk, CD, etc.) are very cheap compared to the amount of time you would spend recreating everything. I probably go overboard but I backup the sequence files using a Subversion server running on a different PC in my house and I also backup the server onto a third PC and periodically I backup the backups onto a CD. Only a fire which burns down the entire house would cause me to lose my files. :shock:

tom.

I agree!! You don't know how much information you can't replace until you have a hard drive crash.
I back up on flash drive and I email files to my work (that I keep on the server)
My luck I would have everything backed-up and have a fire take out the computer and the back-up drive.

Scott

it wasn't a hard drive crash, I bought a pc from a yard sale for $5, 1.7 ghz pent 4, a little week on ram, but ran the show fine, came with monitor, and everything. they said it wouldn't hook up to the net, I had no prob, but it had some sort of reg prob the when it rebooted it said it couldn't determine if the windows program was valid and wouldn't log on. ugh!

So I'm back up and running had trouble getting the scheduler to save, thanks to someone else who had the same prob, I wiped the registry and reloaded LOR and it works like a charm, plus a fresh load of windows and it's fast. It is strickly for LOR and nothing else will ever be run on it, but still backup,backup, backup, is my new slogan!