Light-O-Rama Forums

Display fines

ItsMeBobO

That's just wrong!   So sad to see people like that in what should be a close community where folks should help each other, not be so dadburn GRINCH-LIKE!

I hope his attorney takes all the fool complainers, as well as the mayor of the town and the HOA to task and they all have to eat crow!

If he has been doing it in the same location for as long as he has said, the city has lost already. Established Precedent

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

If he has been doing it in the same location for as long as he has said, the city has lost already. Established Precedent

I don’t think that is how it works for light shows.

Especially since local gov leadership changes as well as citizens.

Reminds me of the Veteran whom the HOA decided one morning that they didn’t like his American flag. There have been a few of those, the first guy lost, I believe it was in Florida.

JR

My coworker showed me that story this afternoon.  This is our 4th year doing light shows and 2nd using LOR, and I decided I didn't want to end up in a news article like that so I haven't posted a "Tune to" sign yet.  So far I've just told a few neighbors, friends, and coworkers which radio frequency I'm transmitting on.  Definitely helps cut down on the traffic congestion on our street in this little conservative town we live in.  But some year (maybe next year) I'm gonna chance it and stick a "Tune to" sign in our yard, maybe just for a few days to see what happens.

13 hours ago, Speedster said:

My coworker showed me that story this afternoon.  This is our 4th year doing light shows and 2nd using LOR, and I decided I didn't want to end up in a news article like that so I haven't posted a "Tune to" sign yet.  So far I've just told a few neighbors, friends, and coworkers which radio frequency I'm transmitting on.  Definitely helps cut down on the traffic congestion on our street in this little conservative town we live in.  But some year (maybe next year) I'm gonna chance it and stick a "Tune to" sign in our yard, maybe just for a few days to see what happens.

It's NOT the "Tune To" sign that does it!  

It's that the display gets attention via word of mouth, by neighbors, by co-workers, by social media posts{FaceBook, Twitter} over the internet, and if the news gets involved and displays your house on your local news, then shares it with national news outlets,, then this is ALL what cause that influx of traffic and folks coming from everywhere to see your display.  And also if your neighbors, friends or co-workers video your display and post it on social media outlets{YouTube, Vimeo, etc.}, that makes it even more attractive for folks to want and come to see it in person.

Tune to signs are nothing more than telling those that do visit how to listen to the music in your display.  It{Tune to sign} is not the attracting force that brings them in, all the aforementioned do!

15 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I don’t think that is how it works for light shows.

Especially since local gov leadership changes as well as citizens.

Reminds me of the Veteran whom the HOA decided one morning that they didn’t like his American flag. There have been a few of those, the first guy lost, I believe it was in Florida.

JR

As far as I'm aware he kept fighting it, and it finally got overturned and the HOA had to eat crow.  It just takes a lot of time to fight dimwits like this, but in some cases the homeowner comes out on top.m  Some just give in and find another place and move after such extreme measures are taken against them.

Glad there is NO HOA in my neighborhood!  No one here where I live wants one either!

1 hour ago, Orville said:

It's NOT the "Tune To" sign that does it!  

It's that the display gets attention via word of mouth, by neighbors, by co-workers, by social media posts{FaceBook, Twitter} over the internet, and if the news gets involved and displays your house on your local news, then shares it with national news outlets,, then this is ALL what cause that influx of traffic and folks coming from everywhere to see your display.  And also if your neighbors, friends or co-workers video your display and post it on social media outlets{YouTube, Vimeo, etc.}, that makes it even more attractive for folks to want and come to see it in person.

Tune to signs are nothing more than telling those that do visit how to listen to the music in your display.  It{Tune to sign} is not the attracting force that brings them in, all the aforementioned do!

yup, certainly agree with that.   And to add that although I realize there are LOR people here that want to get as much traffic as possible, we prefer less.  Our display is really for ourselves, our family, and neighbors.  Last year one neighbor called a local TV station  and they came knocking on the door to ask about an interview and take videos.   I told them politely to leave that we don't want publicity, and turned off the lights till they left.  They were polite and left.  The ultimate grinch trick 🙂

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

yup, certainly agree with that.   And to add that although I realize there are LOR people here that want to get as much traffic as possible, we prefer less.  Our display is really for ourselves, our family, and neighbors.  Last year one neighbor called a local TV station  and they came knocking on the door to ask about an interview and take videos.   I told them politely to leave that we don't want publicity, and turned off the lights till they left.  They were polite and left.  The ultimate grinch trick 🙂

I'd do the same thing.  I don't need to stir up my neighbors with a lot of traffic.  It's bad enough where I live with the folks that live here parking on the street {which they're not really supposed to do}.   And if even more traffic came in here, the roads being so darn narrow in my section, that would generate a lot of complaints to the office management of the park.

I'll post when my display is in operation here on the LOR Forum, but this IS the ONLY place where one can find info on my show.  I don't want the publicity either, I've had a few neighbors ask if they can tell the local news media and I politely explain what the consequences could be for them and the rest of the neighborhood if and when a display becomes a popular attraction spot.  And they understand that and agree, it'd be a nightmare for everyone.

So my neighbors keep it to themselves and keep it within the neighborhood, although folks visiting them, well they try to tell them what I've said, but you know how folks can be, they see something they like and enjoy, video it and then want to share it with the world today.

Just hope my display NEVER attracts that much attention.  I, nor my current neighbors want that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dougd said:

I heard he was on the Great Light FIght, not sure if its true or not. That show has killed off a few shows already.

Too many have wished to be on that show only to have their displays "killed" off due to too much traffic et al.  Fame has a price, for those that remember Kevin (Thriller and Party Rock fame in California) his grew to 10k+ nightly and then street vendors showed up and started hawking items.  Became a mess and got shut down.  Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, caniac said:

Too many have wished to be on that show only to have their displays "killed" off due to too much traffic et al.  Fame has a price, for those that remember Kevin (Thriller and Party Rock fame in California) his grew to 10k+ nightly and then street vendors showed up and started hawking items.  Became a mess and got shut down.  Be careful what you wish for.

Yes, and that KIA commercial they did cinched him getting shut down.  I remember it well, until that he had traffic and some fame, but I think the Kia commercial is what really did him in.

I'm sure we all think "Wow, wouldn't it be great to get noticed like that?", but the sad reality is, if you do, the consequences are worse than you expected.  As in getting your display either shut down entirely or it has to be so scaled back, it's not worth doing.

Edited by Orville

Everything about this is WRONG... IF anything, the city should SUPPORT this family for what they are doing ! It's a job creation event, if the city is already busing people from a parking lot, then the city should be HAPPY that this family has created a NATIONAL attraction for that city... wonder what LA would do if Disneyland had a fight like this ALL YEAR LONG....... or Knots Berry Farm, Universal Studios, etc. they all receive 100's of thousands of visitors each year !

Edited by a31ford

1 hour ago, a31ford said:

Everything about this is WRONG... IF anything, the city should SUPPORT this family for what they are doing ! It's a job creation event, if the city is already busing people from a parking lot, then the city should be HAPPY that this family has created a NATIONAL attraction for that city... wonder what LA would do if Disneyland had a fight like this ALL YEAR LONG....... or Knots Berry Farm, Universal Studios, etc. they all receive 100's of thousands of visitors each year !

The City of Disney has more money than the City of LA and probably population and jobs.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

The City of Disney has more money than the City of LA and probably population and jobs.

JR

A lot of folks in Florida complained about DisneyWorld too, for that very reason, and they are STILL HERE and keep getting bigger and BIGGER and they still continue to keep growing despite the residents complaints about the traffic they create, as well as the other theme parks in the area. LOL

20 hours ago, caniac said:

Fame has a price.  Be careful what you wish for.

A little editing, but this is what I got from your post. Very True!

This is not pointed at you caniac, just commenting on the thread in general

I agree this sucks for the guy with the show, however for every story there is a another side. Think of the neighbors who are having thier bushes / lawn trampled, can't pull into thier driveway after long day at work because someone has parked there to watch the show, trash left in your yard,  the list goes on and on.

Hopefully his neighbors are supportive of his show, I can only imagine issue coming up that test the friendship between neighbors. While this fellow can control the lights, he cannot control the crowds who show up to watch it. Just sayin.

Alan...

• Like 1

• The topic was locked