Light-O-Rama Forums

standard controllers in S5

dougradSally123+

i finally have my pixcon working.  I have to older LOR controllers for regular lights.  i am trying to daisy chain them with the pixcon.  I set them up with the hardware utility.  they previously were units 1 and 2 so i moved them to 20 and 21 since i have the pixcon.  both control the lights in the HWU.  I hooked just one up to the USB adapter to see if it would work first.  Running on the LOR enhanced.  I then closed the HWU and opened S5.  i made a prop of one string of regular lights.  I set the unit to 21 which is the controller and the circuits to 12 and 12 on the prop as that is the plug i am using.  When i made a sequence to turn them on the lights do not respond.  I have the listener running and it shows my com port 3 is hooked up.  Not sure if i am missing a setting or what it could be.  Thanks in advance for any ideas.  Crunch time!!

When you say "older controllers", are these Version 1 or Version 2 CTB16PC Controllers or are they GEN 3, because if they are NOT Gen 3, you'll need a red HS RS485 Adapter and set up a second network for the Pixcon.   As older CTB16PC's can not run at 500K or faster speed, they are limited to 115K or prefered speed is 57.6k.  The older CTB16PC Controllers CAN NOT run on an Enhanced Network either.   So if you AC Controllers are older/earlier than the newer Gen 3 models, you need a 2nd adapter {again a High Speed one} for the PixCon.

I have 4 Version 2 CTB16PC Controllers and if I daisy chain them to my RGB Controllers, I get lights not working on the AC units or severe lag times on BOTH the CTB16PC and the RGB Controllers.  They need separate networks.

I know I'm not using S5, but this rule still would apply when mixing RGB and older {NOT Gen 3} CTB16PC units.

Thanks, the controllers are probably 5 years or older not sure how to tell what version.  I am using a red USB adapter but I only have one old controller hooked up without the others to see if it would work.  at this point it is not.  should the older controller work with the red adapter if it is the only one hooked up?

11 minutes ago, dougradSally123+ said:

Thanks, the controllers are probably 5 years or older not sure how to tell what version.  I am using a red USB adapter but I only have one old controller hooked up without the others to see if it would work.  at this point it is not.  should the older controller work with the red adapter if it is the only one hooked up?

As long as it's set to a Regular Network and no higher than 115K and enhanced IS NOT checked, it should work.  You need the standard black USB RS485 adapter for the older units.

To tell if you have the newer Gen 3, they usually have a Green LED, if older than G3, they will be marked down near the bottom of the Circuit board with their version number and other info.  Can't access one at the moment, but know the info is on there.  Also they have a RED LED instead of Green.

If G3, it should work at high speed {no more than 500K} and G3 Controllers can use Enhanced, if it's not working, try changing the speed and uncheck the enhanced option and try again, if those changes make it work, then you know it's probably an older unit and not a Gen 3 one.  If it still doesn't work try changing out the cat5 cables and try again using each method to see if it works.

You can use a Red adapter on Slow ( <500K), but if you have a black one available.... And I know of no limitation on Which assignment:  My Red is Regular and my Black is AuxA

The important thing: Not to put a Gen2 on the same network that is using Enhanced

3 minutes ago, dougradSally123+ said:

You were right.  I took it off LOR ENHANCED and it works.  Thanks so much.

The Pixcon 16 requires Enhanced networking at at least 500k speed and your Gen 2 can not use Enhanced or 500k networking.  The Gen 3 can with newer firmware.  Solution is to run two networks.