Light-O-Rama Forums

lightorama wont open

JEFFREYM

nothing opens recieving message like this:

windows instller:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network

resource that is unavailable.

click ok to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder contaning the installation package "light-o-rama" msi in the box below.

use source:

C: usersjeffreyappdatalocaltemp{94120a76-64b

so then i click on it and it says the same thing over again!!!

sofar i did the reg wipe and re installed download nothing changes!!!

im on Vista ultimate edition any help couldnt hurt at this point suggestians????

now it says

the installation sorce for this product is unavailable

varify that the sorce exists and that you can access it . then it says ok i hit ok and nothing happens. what am i doing wrong//////??????

are you trying to instal S2? do you have LOR1 installed?

I ran into a similar error when installing S2- without installing v1, just having the program on the computer

i have 1 and i also have s2 it worked fine untill my power went out on my house but since then it wont come back up .i tryed system restore it lost any of my restore points face it VISTA JUST SUCKS it seems to put my lor files where ever it wants and not where they should go.. how about this if uninstall lor compleatly what will happen to my sequences will they go to? as like i said files are all over the place !!

the problem is in the MSI FILE ATTACHED to lor? mine is gone redownloaded lor starting with demo lor 1 lor 2 still having the same windows come up as stated in my first post and second post. seems as im dead in the water now not grtting to many replys to this problem ... thanks i did do a back up !

Sounds like it could also be a rights issue.

Just in case, copy the setup program to your desktop, and right mouse on the link, then select "run as administrator". Yes, I know, even if you are logged in as an administrator, you can sometimes get messages like that depending on what the installer is try to execute and where the file is located.

Also, there is no need to install the demo first. Over the years I have seem problems with people migrating from the demo to the fully functional LOR system. Start with the lowest that you have the "licence" to operate then upgrade.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

The problem appears to be that anytime you ty to start an LOR program, Windows (in my case XP) thinks you are trying to install the program. My computer crashed so I reinstalled windows and now I'm getting this error. It's a serious problem and if we can figure out how to stop the install process the program should work fine.

Brian

I've never seen anything like this. It's some how associated with every one of the LOR programs. If I repeatedly and rapidly hit cancel the program will eventually start. If I go to the LOR directory and click on the executable, the same thing happens, windows tries to install the program (which is in theory installed) and looks for the .msi file. Almost like there is a switch in the registry that starts the windows installer and looks to install the program, again, anytime the program is started.

Brian

I think it must have something to do with time stamps on the programs. I never wiped out the old copy of LOR in the Program FilesLight-O-Rama directory after the computer crash. Thus there must be something about those files that is causing the miss match when started. I think I will uninstall and delete all the files and see if that solves the problem after the reinstall. Somehow the registry is not seeing those as the correct files and tries to install them.

Maybe I'll reinstall tomorrow. I've lost two sequencing days due to the crash and need to finish Carol of the Bells....computer very fast now.....

Brian

It also tries to install the sequencer when I try to save the sequence I'm working with. It starts to install, stops and asks where the light-o-rama.msi file is. When I click cancel it says:

Error 1706. No valid source could be found for Product Light-O-Rama. The Windows installer cannot continue.

I click Okay, it goes away and the sequence is saved.

Very weird,

Brian

i posted the same problem a month ago recieved 2 replys neither worked also sent my reply to lor directly to lor still no help my m,si is gone and i lost all my files sequences, a year of solid work all gone i have giving up untill i saw your post tonight any answers i reinstalled only to get the same old (msi downloader missing) whatever//sandiegojeffrey@cox.net:( it still dosnt replace my work either

More investigation. It's related to the registry. If you go to Microsoft and read the data for that error 1706 it leads you to believe that there was a problem with the install. I played with the registry and I can manipulate the way the popups occure so if I can figure out what code in the registry is triggering the problem I may be able to stop it.

When I go to the event viewer under Administrative Tools, it tells you that it is looking for the file msxml4r.dll in a subdirectory of Windowswinsxs but when I copied the file into that location I still get the same error. Here is the data in the three events that pop up when the installation fails:

Product: Light-O-Rama -- Configuration failed.

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files' failed during request for component '{A0A6807B-3D18-4062-8D5F-35E10B9061CB}'

Detection of product '{E744BFEA-E027-441E-83A2-36202F661E31}', feature 'Light_O_Rama_Files', component '{5617BF49-9195-4C35-B9AD-F8D165DE25BB}' failed. The resource 'C:WINDOWSWinSxSx86_Microsoft.MSXML2R_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.1.0.0_x-ww_29c3ad6amsxml4r.dll' does not exist.

Brian

As a temporary fix you can disable the Windows Installer through Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. Find the installer in the list, tell it to stop, wait for it to stop, then change from Manual to Disable. The windows popups still occure but go away on their own.

I'll let you know if I can solve the real problem.

Brian

I'm going to try the Microsoft Windows Installer cleanup Utility tonight to remove all notations related to LOR in the installer it's self. That does seem to be where the the problem lies. If that works I'll post the results. I don't want to do anything to the program since it works fine without the installer running.

If anyone wants to try it today, please post the method and results.

Brian