Jump to content

ABC Lightfight


Dave Pursel
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was looking forward to watching it, but our roommate who brought in her 5 cats {mama and 4 kittens actually}, well one of the little bounders knocked our TV off the stand to the floor {kittens!} and broke the antenna connection port completely off the TV, so can't screw an antenna on to the TV to get regular TV at all.    I took the TV apart to see if I could repair it, nope, no go for me. :(

So I'll be missing that show this year, the one show I was looking forward to seeing and now can't. Ugh!

So now all it is is a DVD/Blu-Ray Disc player as the Blu-Ray/DVD player we have doesn't have the capability to do TV channels.  The TV is supposedly able to be used as a computer monitor, but I don't see how when their is no VGA monitor connector on the TV anywhere!

I've had a lot of cats and lots of kittens, still do have quite a few cats{7 of my own}, and I never had any of the kittens or cats I raised run and bulldoze themselves head first into any TV ever, unlike these kittens.  First time for everything I guess.

So now got to try and save up money for a new TV, there goes my light display budget for the next few months. :(

 

Edited by Orville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Speedster said:

You might be able to watch the show online on ABC's website. 

Thanks for the reminder on that option! :D

I'll have to check and see if they put it online.   I always forget about using the internet to watch a show that may have already aired and then gets posted to the stations website.   Brains engaged in too many other activities this time of year, mainly getting sequences done, checking the forum here for folks I've been helping and church criteria takes up a lot of my time.

Edited by Orville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Thanks for the reminder on that option! :D

I'll have to check and see if they put it online.   I always forget about using the internet to watch a show that may have already aired and then gets posted to the stations website.   Brains engaged in too many other activities this time of year, mainly getting sequences done, checking the forum here for folks I've been helping and church criteria takes up a lot of my time.

Here's the links for last night's episodes:

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight/episode-guide/season-06/01-season-6-premiere-episode-1

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight/episode-guide/season-06/02-episode-2

They ask you who your TV provider is before you can watch the video.  After I selected our provider (AT&T Uverse) the video started playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Speedster said:

Here's the links for last night's episodes:

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight/episode-guide/season-06/01-season-6-premiere-episode-1

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-great-christmas-light-fight/episode-guide/season-06/02-episode-2

They ask you who your TV provider is before you can watch the video.  After I selected our provider (AT&T Uverse) the video started playing.

Thanks for the links.

We don't use cable or satellite, I do not and will not pay for those services, they aren't that great and most of them, their customer service support is sporadic or downright just not there.   I use an HD Antenna when I had a working TV, so I hope there is a way to watch without a carrier service, otherwise, it'll be no dice for me to watch them. :(

Edit:  Hooray, just checked and I'll be able to watch them! :D  Thanks again for the links, now bookmarked.  Can't watch them while my show is running, but after it ends at 11pm.  I'm going to check out the show.  Thanks again! :D

 

Edited by Orville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Orville said:

Edit:  Hooray, just checked and I'll be able to watch them! :D  Thanks again for the links, now bookmarked.  Can't watch them while my show is running, but after it ends at 11pm.  I'm going to check out the show.  Thanks again! :D

Glad it worked for you!  Just don't forget to watch it online soon after the new episodes are aired because I think each episode is available for only a week online. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Glad it worked for you!  Just don't forget to watch it online soon after the new episodes are aired because I think each episode is available for only a week online. 

Yes, I read that.  You'd think they'd leave all the episodes online at least through Jan. 1st!   My watches some her favorite shows and she can find 2 to 3 seasons of all the shows back.   Would be nice if they had an archive like that where you could pull up previous years shows you may have missed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Speedster said:

Glad it worked for you!  Just don't forget to watch it online soon after the new episodes are aired because I think each episode is available for only a week online. 

Unfortunately it didn't.  they insist on your taking some kind of PAID subscription service.  And I will never do that.  I use an antenna and it's ridiculous to have to pay to watch a REPEAT of a show that if you could have watched it on TV for FREE, but have to pay to watch a repeat that was FREE the first time around, no thanks.  That's just idiotic in my opinion.    So since I don't have a provider, I'll never see them.  I tried setting up an account and it looked like I was going to be able to watch the episodes, but as soon as clicked "watch" took me right back to that ridiculous choose a provider screen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Orville said:

Unfortunately it didn't.  they insist on your taking some kind of PAID subscription service.  And I will never do that.  I use an antenna and it's ridiculous to have to pay to watch a REPEAT of a show that if you could have watched it on TV for FREE, but have to pay to watch a repeat that was FREE the first time around, no thanks.  That's just idiotic in my opinion.    So since I don't have a provider, I'll never see them.  I tried setting up an account and it looked like I was going to be able to watch the episodes, but as soon as clicked "watch" took me right back to that ridiculous choose a provider screen.

Well that's a real big bummer.  I don't know why ABC does it this way.  I can watch this season's episodes of The Flash and Supergirl on the CWTV website without any hassle. 

Maybe you can ask a friend or neighbor to record it for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Speedster said:

Well that's a real big bummer.  I don't know why ABC does it this way.  I can watch this season's episodes of The Flash and Supergirl on the CWTV website without any hassle. 

Maybe you can ask a friend or neighbor to record it for you. 

Yes, my wife watches shows she missed on CWTV all the time.   Just doesn't make sense for a channel to demand you take a subscription pay service to access THERE content online.   Personally I call that discrimination against folks that maybe can't afford to do that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get OTA reception with just a $10 dipole antenna.  But of course I don't know where you live relative to tv broadcast stations.  Last nights episodes (12/03/18) were pretty awesome.  Especially the guy from Ohio who had the 4 million lights.  Best light show I've ever seen.  I told my wife we're going to drive down there when I figure it out where it's at.  Of course I'm assuming it's not to far away.  We're in Michigan about 90 minutes from the Ohio border. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dave Pursel said:

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get OTA reception with just a $10 dipole antenna.  But of course I don't know where you live relative to tv broadcast stations.  Last nights episodes (12/03/18) were pretty awesome.  Especially the guy from Ohio who had the 4 million lights.  Best light show I've ever seen.  I told my wife we're going to drive down there when I figure it out where it's at.  Of course I'm assuming it's not to far away.  We're in Michigan about 90 minutes from the Ohio border. 

The one with 4 million lights is a for profit attraction. They charge to look at the lights. Just a heads up before you drive that far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Light_addiction said:

The one with 4 million lights is a for profit attraction. They charge to look at the lights. Just a heads up before you drive that far.

Then if they are using music and it's FOR profit, they better be paying the music company for each song royalty payments and licensing fees, and for every time it plays during their show{s}.  Or I see a HUGE lawsuit coming at them from the Music Industry once they get wind of this.

We're allowed to use the music as long as we ARE NOT charging anyone to watch the display, collecting donations for a charity IS NOT the same thing as asking one to pay to view a display.  I don't know if the Demented elf is still around here or not, but we had a long discussion of this a few years ago about this very thing.  

If used for commercial or personal gain, royalty payments and licensing are expected and required restitution for every time the song plays in a show {unless express/special permission has been granted for commercial property}, but personal gain or profit, royalty payments must be given and acquired licensing to play them in those type displays.  Homes open to anyone to view, whether collecting charitable donations or not, we don't need to pay those fees.  But we're not really allowed to post the videos on Social Media sites without permission {although it's done all the time, and why YouTube and Vimeo, as well as others may pull the video down due to copyright issues}.

Edited by Orville
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Orville said:

hen if they are using music and it's FOR profit, they better be paying the music company for each song royalty payments, and also for every time it plays during their show{s}.  Or I see a HUGE lawsuit coming at them from the Music Industry once they get wind of this.

You know, I'd be willing to bet they are smart enough to know that.

You could write to them and make sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Don said:

You know, I'd be willing to bet they are smart enough to know that.

You could write to them and make sure.

Not my issue, it's theirs.

I just brought it up as some folks still do not, or are not aware of this, if they would happen to do something like that.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I make a suggestion as to getting an over the air signal to your TV?  Many years ago when analog TV was discontinued the government gave everyone 2 free DTV adapters if you turned in a coupon.  They typically had an HDMI port and composite video / analog audio output on them.  Just add antenna.  Do you have one maybe collecting dust in the closet?  I'm sure there are still some around if you asked and would be a lot less costly than an entirely new TV. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, radioguy1007 said:

Can I make a suggestion as to getting an over the air signal to your TV?  Many years ago when analog TV was discontinued the government gave everyone 2 free DTV adapters if you turned in a coupon.  They typically had an HDMI port and composite video / analog audio output on them.  Just add antenna.  Do you have one maybe collecting dust in the closet?  I'm sure there are still some around if you asked and would be a lot less costly than an entirely new TV. 

Nope, never got one.   And I've searched the local stores and haven't found one anywhere so far.   Not sure where I should look online for one as that may be the only way I could find one, but need to make sure it uses HDMI cables, has an Antenna input and able to select channels through it.  Then hopefully my HD TV would be back in business.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Don locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...