Light-O-Rama Forums

Low voltage wire for extension cords

marcmiller04

I have the standard 16 channel connector for LEDs and incandescents.  I did my low voltage wiring over the summer for our lighting and have about 500 feet left of the 16-2... was considering using it for extension cords but am not sure and can't seem to find much on the forums about it.  

Thoughts?

Edited by marcmiller04

12 minutes ago, marcmiller04 said:

I have the standard 16 channel connector for LEDs and incandescents.  I did my low voltage wiring over the summer for our lighting and have about 500 feet left of the 16-2... was considering using it for extension cords but am not sure and can't seem to find much on the forums about it.  

Thoughts?

LV lighting cable is intended for 12/24V lighting and does not have a 300V insulation rating.  Use 16-2 SPT2 wire if you need more than 3A of 120V, otherwise 18-2 would be fine  (It seems SPT-2 is easier to find at HD or  Lowes)

One last point.  There are no Vampire plugs / outlets designed for that cable. The ones with screws are $$$

Edited by TheDucks

40 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

LV lighting cable is intended for 12/24V lighting and does not have a 300V insulation rating.  Use 16-2 SPT2 wire if you need more than 3A of 120V, otherwise 18-2 would be fine  (It seems SPT-2 is easier to find at HD or  Lowes)

One last point.  There are no Vampire plugs / outlets designed for that cable. The ones with screws are $$$

I'm ok spending some money on decent plugs, I'll see if I can sell the 500 feet I've got, and get that spt2. I'd rather be over sized that have something else happen. 

Thanks for the response

6 minutes ago, marcmiller04 said:

I'm ok spending some money on decent plugs, I'll see if I can sell the 500 feet I've got, and get that spt2. I'd rather be over sized that have something else happen. 

Thanks for the response

Check the with local landscapers. They like good deals.