can you split the cat 5 plug

ferrantejon

i have 7 16 channel controllers and would like to split the plug on one of my controllers to save on wire around the yard.  i was told to use a cat 5 network switch.  I purchased the switch from amazon for $10 and tried it. my  G3-MP3 Director shuts down any time i try to plug the switch in does anyone know how to do this.

24 minutes ago, ferrantejon said:

i have 7 16 channel controllers and would like to split the plug on one of my controllers to save on wire around the yard.  i was told to use a cat 5 network switch.  I purchased the switch from amazon for $10 and tried it. my  G3-MP3 Director shuts down any time i try to plug the switch in does anyone know how to do this.

LOR does not use 802.3 networking. That is NOT Ethernet. It is RS485 (serial)., a more advanced form of RS232.  That network switch is pretty much usless as far as LOR controllers go.

CAT5 is a Cabling system, just like  the common RJ11/14 that phones use. Lots of uses, with totatly incompatible signals AND VOLTAGES. Beware the magic smoke escaping

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ferrantejon said:

A miniDirector, (16) PC controllers - and counting (3) floods is (20) cat5 cables - just routed as best I could. And stake down and triple tie-wrap to controller's yard stakes - no tripping to pull out the connectors from the boards.