Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR on website

Guest guest

warcraft wrote:

DAN if i order i card on the website now are these LOR II ? i hate to order one and find out i cant use it later

LORII – “Showtime Software Suite” Our next generation of software. (a free upgrade to existing customers) LOR has been completely re-engineered to provide an even simpler user interface with new wizards for those who want to keep things easy AND a number of high-powered features for those who want to go to the next level of complexity. A complete list of features will be posted at a later date.

A new, communication protocol will be introduced that allows LOR future flexibility. This new protocol will support many new lighting effects and provide enhanced reliability for our new wireless connections. NOTE: Existing LOR controllers/firmware will not work with LOR II. All existing LOR controllers will be upgraded to this new protocol free of charge.

This was posted as well as answered to several questions over at
http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/2543.html

Short answer-no
Long answer-yes. the only difference between the yes and no is a firmware upgrade. So while the currently sold controllers are not factory LOR-2 they will be soon. You see the CTB-08D and CTB-16D controllers will remain the same whether it is LOR-1 or -2 they only change the firmware which you can do yourself for free. So you can go ahead and order. However later this month there is a sale on them, so you might want to wait.

Brad Stevens wrote:

Short answer-no
Long answer-yes. the only difference between the yes and no is a firmware upgrade. So while the currently sold controllers are not factory LOR-2 they will be soon. You see the CTB-08D and CTB-16D controllers will remain the same whether it is LOR-1 or -2 they only change the firmware which you can do yourself for free. So you can go ahead and order. However later this month there is a sale on them, so you might want to wait.

Good (correct) answer.....

So everyone knows the facts, the next batch of CTB16D cards that are being manufactured has two changes.

1. More aux power for accessories. This will allow it to power a wireless transmitter and a MP3 player at the same time. The current CTB16D can power one but not both of those accessories.

2. A little circuit delays the enabling of the opto buffers(flipflops). This prevents an occasional flash of the lights when the CTB16D is first turned on.

Neither of these is directly related to LOR II, rather they are just changes as the product evolves.

The CTB08 and CTB08D have not changed.

I have a question.I recently purchased a CTB08 (NOT the deluxe) and I want to know if this unit will be compatible with LOR II.Im not sure if the firmware is flashable in that unit and believe that a new chip would have to be soldered on directly(which is not a problem for me) [Edit by LightORama: Note that the chip is in a socket and there is no soldering required to replace it.]

But concerning the fact that I purchased the unit from a member here,am I eligble for the "free firmware upgrade"?

ktulu909 wrote:

I have a question.I recently purchased a CTB08 (NOT the deluxe) and I want to know if this unit will be compatible with LOR II.[snip]
But concerning the fact that I purchased the unit from a member here,am I eligble for the "free firmware upgrade"?

Hi,

The CTB08 (not deluxe) will require the replacement of a chip to be made compatable with LOR II. All CURRENT owners of a LOR manufactured card will be eligable for a free firmware upgrade.

Thanks
Dan
Light O Rama, Inc.