Light-O-Rama Forums

4x4 decorating?

KSlush

How critical is it to follow the 4x4 decorating model? I dont have an easy way to break up the front of the house to 4 sections, but i can do 3. 

2 minutes ago, KSlush said:

How critical is it to follow the 4x4 decorating model? I dont have an easy way to break up the front of the house to 4 sections, but i can do 3. 

Its just a recommendation to give new people a foundation.

It is not critical. 

Decorate as you need.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Its just a recommendation to give new people a foundation.

It is not critical. 

Decorate as you need.

JR

kinda figured. thanks

Since you are on S4 you can use the visualizer as a tool to actually see what your thought will look like.

If you need help figuring it all out just ask.

Its easy

Take a pic of your yard and house. Put it in vis. Use the vis tools to put light on your pic. Of course everything has to be married (in SE) to your controllers but its a ll simple

JR

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 9:13 PM, KSlush said:

I dont have an easy way to break up the front of the house to 4 sections, but i can do 3

When I first started a couple years ago I tried the 4x4 model and it did not work for me either. I did 3 also. Definitely use the visualizer, it is a great tool to see your house in action.

Tom

• Like 1

I have been on this forum for a long time and have never heard of the 4x4 model.    But I have always been a big proponent of sets of props to do chases.     

My first year I had 8 channels on the house and 8 for a chase in the yard. 

I follow 4x4 model, started that way and never got away from it. All my props are divisible by 4, 16 big trees, 16 mid size trees, 16 candy canes, 16 strings on my mega tree, 16 spinners, 4 fans, 8 stars and so on. Even took it so far on a lot of props that the number of pixels is divisible by 4. 

I always figured the 4 started with how many beats per second a lot of songs are, 4 count or something like that. 

20 minutes ago, dougd said:

I follow 4x4 model, started that way and never got away from it. All my props are divisible by 4, 16 big trees, 16 mid size trees, 16 candy canes, 16 strings on my mega tree, 16 spinners, 4 fans, 8 stars and so on. Even took it so far on a lot of props that the number of pixels is divisible by 4. 

I always figured the 4 started with how many beats per second a lot of songs are, 4 count or something like that. 

Maybe my memory is failing me about being told.   That said I have 32 mini trees  24 fountains    16 floods   32 dumb strips on the grass.     I think I fell into the 4 rule because the AC and pixel controllers have 16 channels to work with.   Once I had accumulated enough controllers I want each to be linked to a single prop. 

3 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I have been on this forum for a long time and have never heard of the 4x4 model.  

The 4 x 4 model is a suggested layout when buying sequences from LOR.  If you have never bought sequences from LOR (or possibly some others as well), you would have no reason to know about the 4 x 4 concept.  I don't use it either.

In the early days of shared sequences, most everyone did things in 4's and 8's. First person I can remember getting away from that was Richard Holdman, he did several things in 9's. I remember always having to delete the middle channel when I used his sequences.