Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX integrated in LOR

Dave76

Help please! I cannot figure out how to get my LOR controllers to accept DMX.  

My setup is Computer -> DMX interface -> LOR controller 1 -> LOR controller 2

im have trouble and worked on troubleshooting the last week. Read forum, watched videos, and I’m dead in the water. 

Can any shed some light please!  I’m sure it’s something simple I’m probably missing.

Please and thank you!

Dave

Firstly, you should fill out your software details in your profile, as it often and may in this case affect the answers given.

We will also need more details about the dmx controller and its connection to the PC so someone with experience of that can assist you with the setup.

With that said. I believe the lower licence levels don't allow dmx, check here. 

http://www1.lightorama.com/sequencing-suite-software/

Looks like advanced is required.

At some point you may need a LOR to dmx, (or vice versa)  crossover cable since dmx and LOR use different pins.

http://www.creativelightingdisplays.com/uploads/DMX-DOC.pdf

I don't know exactly what you are trying to do, but for ny dmx lights, I use one LOR dongle, just for dmx with the LOR side on a second LOR dongle. 

That ends up being two LOR AC controllers, on RS 485 dongle 1 and one partial dmx universe on RS 485 dongle two, plus 30 more universes of E1.31 over ethernet.

Ok sorry yes I will get to my profile ASAP. 

I have S4.3.34 and Pro license which should support this.

I leave my computer with standard Ethernet to a gig switch out in the yard. I have a sACN E1.31 to DMX interface. It has four ports. I set them 75,76,77,78.  I use universe 75 for RGB flood lights and 77 for my LOR 120v units. I leave the port assigned to 77 and use the LOR x over cable to plug in the first LOR controller. The I leave that first LOR controller with a standard Ethernet to the next LOR controller.  Oh and the sACN does multicast.

i believe my hardware is set up right correct?  I think my issue is in software logic.

In the Network Configuration on the DMX tab I go to universe 77, select “Use E1.31” click the multicast.  The specify gas a grey out IP(I’ll get to later).  Seeing I’m using multicast the specify shouldn’t be in play.

in sequence editor, I have the preference set “Allow DMX Editing”

Then I go into channel configuration and set all them to Network with universe 77.  Can’t set the unit. And the circuit is 1-16 for first LOR controller and 17-32 for my second. Is that right?

From there I have no idea why it’s not working. 

Ideas???

Have you set up the channels in the Sequence Editor as dmx universes. How many RGB channels are we talking about here.

Not sure I follow the RGB channels. These are LOR controllers that run regular incandescent lights that turn on/off only

Can I assume you can see the sACN Controller web interface, what type controller and how many channels of RGB lights.

I can't help wondering why you have chosen this route to get the data from the PC. Seems a little over complicated. 

10 hours ago, Dave76 said:

Then I go into channel configuration and set all them to Network with universe 77.  Can’t set the unit. And the circuit is 1-16 for first LOR controller and 17-32 for my second. Is that right?

With DMX, you are not setting a LOR Unit ID (at the sending end).  On your LOR controllers, the controller set to Unit ID 01 will respond to channels 1-16 and the LOR controller set to Unit ID 02 will respond to channels 17-32.

K6CCC,

Correct.  I understood this and that is how I set it up.  I still have not had my RGB Flood lights working.  They are running off from a HC RGB board.  I program them in Pixel Editor and assign them to the Universe I setup on the DMX interface.  I tried in the Network Configuration to use Multicast (no luck) and then specify using the IP I assigned to the DMX interface (no luck).  It worked non-consistence last year with this setup.  Any idea about this? 

As far as multicast vs unicast, the LOR setup must match the settings of the pixel controller.  I have no info on the HC board.  Personally I always use unicast.  Obviously when using unicast, you must correctly specify the destination IP.

31 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

As far as multicast vs unicast, the LOR setup must match the settings of the pixel controller.  I have no info on the HC board.  Personally I always use unicast.  Obviously when using unicast, you must correctly specify the destination IP.

Right Jim.  I'm 99% the interface is multicast.  That is how I have it set up and it worked "flaky" like that last year.  It seemed to work when or not work when it wanted to.  I'll keep racking my brain and maybe get it figured out.

Thanks for the inputs.  

Yeah. I changed it up and I’m running the USB dongle to them instead and it works.

I’m using a DMX E1.31 bridge and that is producing weird results.  It works some of the times and not others. Or will work on only a handful of songs. It’s very weird