Light-O-Rama Forums

Unable to locate the Light-O-Rama port

ftrevor

OK.  Not a novice but am capable of novice errors.

I am thinking my rs-485 adapter has tanked.  I have updated the drivers, replaced the USB cable, checked the device manager (is on port 3 and working).

Anything that I missed?

Controllers are blinking.  That's why I am thinking it is the RS-485 controller. I should be able to see the comm port using the Auto Config.  I have two controllers (#2 & #3) hooked up to the two RS-485 ports.  Not likely that both controller/cable assemblies are bad.

5 minutes ago, ftrevor said:

Controllers are blinking.  That's why I am thinking it is the RS-485 controller. I should be able to see the comm port using the Auto Config.  I have two controllers (#2 & #3) hooked up to the two RS-485 ports.  Not likely that both controller/cable assemblies are bad.

Yo have more than 1 controller? Connect the RS485 dongle to the second controller (skip the first in the chain) to see if the controller has a bad RJ45

OK... Figured it out...sort of.  I did have one controller hooked up to each of the 2 RS-485 ports on the USB-RS485 adapter.  I usually get one bad controller or cable each year.  I have 17 :)

Not sure what the actual problem is, but I have determined that it is not the USB-RS485 adapter.  Hooked up 3rd controller to the RS-485 and got a solid LED.  So my guess is that I have a bad set of cables (I have a tester for that) and all should be good in no time.  Thanks for the ideas.

11 hours ago, ftrevor said:

OK... Figured it out...sort of.  I did have one controller hooked up to each of the 2 RS-485 ports on the USB-RS485 adapter.  I usually get one bad controller or cable each year.  I have 17 :)

Not sure what the actual problem is, but I have determined that it is not the USB-RS485 adapter.  Hooked up 3rd controller to the RS-485 and got a solid LED.  So my guess is that I have a bad set of cables (I have a tester for that) and all should be good in no time.  Thanks for the ideas.

I am setting up my show display. Yesterday I powered up the controllers to verify the lights are on the right ports. Only 1 controller found ?. Turns out the heave duty power strip (for 3 of the controllers on that side) was not plugged in.

Failed CAT5 cables in P-towne. They baked ? j/k The only failed CAT cables Iv'e seen in 20 years, had visible damage. OTOH I replace a plug some place, with a broken tang, every year, that got killed by handling.

• The topic was locked