Light-O-Rama Forums

Transfering sequences between 2 computers in S5

answerman4109
Go to solution Solved by MattBrown,

I have 2 laptop computers and they are both running Windows 10. I also have the most current version of LOR S5 on both (ver 5.1.4 Pro). I do most of my programming in Super Star.

I was wondering what would be the best/most effecient way to transfer sequences from the programming computer to the show computer?

Also, how would I change the default directory that shows up in S5 sequencer when I select File Open?

Save everything to a jump drive(SD card) and make sure they both have the same drive letter. This way everything pulls up from the same location on both computers and it's not the "C" drive on each individual named computer.

Edited by Griswold Way Lights

• Solution
19 hours ago, Griswold Way Lights said:

Save everything

Make sure you select File > Save Playback Files on your sequencing computer first. See the process flowchart here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.1.4/help/sequence_editor.htm

The files that are needed on the show computer will be the .play.lms and/or .play.las files, as well as any file with a .pe.lid file extension.

When you create a show, you will schedule the playback files (.play.lms).

On 10/3/2018 at 12:54 PM, answerman4109 said:

Also, how would I change the default directory that shows up in S5 sequencer when I select File Open?

The default directory when opening a sequence is the Light-O-Rama\Sequences directory.  By default the Light-O-Rama directory is a subfolder in your Documents (or My Documents) folder. You can change the location of the Light-O-Rama folder by selecting Tools > Change User Data Directory. This will copy all of your sequences and data to the new location you specify. Think carefully about the location - this is not an operation you want to perform frequently.

Thank you Matt for the detailed info. I was unaware that I needed to save the sequence files as "Save Playback Files" before I would be able to play the sequences in the Show Editor.

I have saved all of my sequences into the .play format on the sequencer computer then transfer them to the player computer.

When I transfer my sequences from the show editor computer to the show playing computer via a USB memory stick, everything transfers fine but the show player computer comes up with a warning message when I try and play some of them in them in the S5 Sequencer. The message is "The following warnings were generated when loading the sequence" and list a couple .avi files that it can not find.

After I let the sequence load I go to "Sequence - File References" in the sequences that have generated warning messages, to change the Directories for the "Files Used by Motion Effects" and then everything runs fine on the show computer.

My question is, do you think I need to do the "Save Playback Files" on the show computer once I have changed the directories to "refresh" the show files on the show computer?

1 hour ago, answerman4109 said:

My question is, do you think I need to do the "Save Playback Files" on the show computer once I have changed the directories to "refresh" the show files on the show computer?

If you change the location of the media file, then you do; if not, there is no reason to open the Sequencer at all on the show computer. 

Matt

• 2 years later...

Same questions as above except from a different point of view. Can a network file server (NAS) be used as the location for all of the files and allow either computer to have access when needed? They would both not require access at the same time.

Tom

Yes.  That is what I am doing.  I am a little unusual in that I have a file server at home.  I have a shared directory on the server.  All three computers that have LOR software installed have a mapped network drive of L:\ that is that shared directory. So any change done by any of the three computers, is instantly available on the others.  On my laptop that is also occasionally used for sequencing, I also have a mapped network drive of L:\ - however in that case it is actually a subfolder on that computer.