Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effects Rows Blending.....

jamills706

I kind of expected, but do not see, that the upper most layer in a stack of Motion effects Rows on my Matrix would take precedence over the rows below it. For example: The background would be on the third layer, the middle layer would have some sort of moving image, and then the top most row would have a foreground image through which I should see the moving middle row and the static background. Instead all the layers merge or melt together giving a muddy mess.

I tried using the let and right sides of the Motion Effects screen with two of the images as well - I can't seem to find a setting that lets the let window be ON TOP OF the right window without them mixing in some way. Perhaps I am simply not getting my settings correct...but I am not having good results at all!

A real-life example of what my images would be are: top layer, a black mask with a circle cut out of the center of it - the middle row would contain the the snowflake effect, the back or third row would be the picture of the inside of a snow globe. The circular "mask" on the top would be to restrict the snowfall effect to happen only inside the snowglobe.

Can anyone tell me how to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Im sorry I can’t help you with S5 but I’m sensing some Adobe layer talk here..??? Could you just make it in after effects and load it in as a movie effect.

Well - I suppose I could - but then, to me, that defeats the purpose of using sequencing software.

And, that was just an example --- what if I wan a fish/shark (don't go there! LOL) to swim across in front of some kelp? If I try that i get a sezbra fish because the kelp melts into the shark as a blend.

Or if I fly a bat in front of the moon - or a cat in front of a pumpkin o santa and his sleigh in front of a christmas tree...etc....they all blend together. I want each layer to remain distinct and in its place (by that I mean the layers in back should stay back there and not try to join in the un in front!

I don't know about layer priority in S5 Motion Effects either.  I do know that layer priority was a request that got implemented a couple years ago in SuperStar (where I do essentially all my sequencing).

Thanks! I have not yet tried using SS in S5 - perhaps I should try that before I give up on S5 and go back to S4. The only reason I have not simply switched back is that I moved to a new house and thus had to create a whole new display layout - which I have done in S5. I will have to recreate my whole display again in the visualizer, etc. in S4 and I was hoping to use all the work I put into creating the preview in S5. I also have added a number of additional pixels this year and probably will have to spend big bucks to cover all of my pixels in SS.

The one advantage that S5 gives for SuperStar licensing is that you don't have to have a large enough SS license to cover your entire display at the same time.  In S4 (assuming you sequence your entire display in one visualization as I did), you need a large enough SS license to cover your entire display, whereas with S5, you only need as large a SuperStar license for the largest prop or group that you will use for Insert SuperStar Effects.  Using my display as an example, except for my P5 and P10 Tune-To panels which I'm not sequencing in SS, my entire display is about 11,600 channels, so I need a 12,000 channel SuperStar license in order to sequence the entire display together.  In the S5 concept, since the largest prop is my 24 x 100 pixel tree (7,200 channels), I could get away with only a 9,000 channel SuperStar license.

Not 100% sure what I did at the time - but it gave me a message when I clicked on Insert SuperStar effect instead of Insert Motion Effect to the effect that I was many pixels short on my license. I looked at the pricing and it seemed astronomically high to me....of course I may not have looked at the right option since there seemed to be several hundred options to choose from! LOL

Yep, SuperStar is expensive, but in my opinion, worth every penny.  I have been using SS since 2012 and have upgraded several times as my channel counts went up.  Currently at 12,000 channels.  I don't currently expect to upgrade it again, but that could change...

17 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yep, SuperStar is expensive, but in my opinion, worth every penny.  I have been using SS since 2012 and have upgraded several times as my channel counts went up.  Currently at 12,000 channels.  I don't currently expect to upgrade it again, but that could change...

Well - I"ve had SuperStar and used it for several years - this is the first time it's complained about number o pixels to me - I know I've added some - but thought I"d bought the top o the line icons when I got it several years ago. I was a bit disillusioned when I clicked and saw the pricing now. , Maybe I need to investigate it more fully as I may not have been reading it properly.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, jamills706 said:

A real-life example of what my images would be are: top layer, a black mask with a circle cut out of the center of it - the middle row would contain the the snowflake effect, the back or third row would be the picture of the inside of a snow globe. The circular "mask" on the top would be to restrict the snowfall effect to happen only inside the snowglobe.

To create a snowflake effect that is restricted to a circle or oval, then in the Motion Effect Generator:

1) On the left side, set the effect to Snowflakes

2) On the right side, set the effect to SimpleShape, with the shape set to Oval. Adjust width, height, left/right, top/bottom settings as needed. Color does not matter as long as it is not black.

3) In the middle, set the mix to Mix_Rt_Reveals_Lt

Matt