Light-O-Rama Forums

pixel extenders 3 pin

sysco

I bought the 3 pin 10ft extenders for 12v   pixels  can anyone tell me the orientation  of the three pins I think the white marked on the outside wire is ground single pin  the one next to it I think is data and the other out side one is power is this correct   thank you Blair

If you think about it, it does not make a difference  WITH Extensions purchased that have plugs on BOTH ends since what goes in one will come out at the same place. Providing they are wired properly and not crossed over. HOWEVER never assume anything with wiring colors on pixels, dangles, extensions or anything else, especially of Chinese origin since they often get it wrong, sometimes even between batches of the same product.

You should put a meter on everything or check the markings on the pixels to make sure.

So, check that white goes to white, red to red etc, preferably for each extension.

51 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

If you think about it, it does not make a difference  WITH Extensions purchased that have plugs on BOTH ends since what goes in one will come out at the same place. Providing they are wired properly and not crossed over. HOWEVER never assume anything with wiring colors on pixels, dangles, extensions or anything else, especially of Chinese origin since they often get it wrong, sometimes even between batches of the same product.

You should put a meter on everything or check the markings on the pixels to make sure.

So, check that white goes to white, red to red etc, preferably for each extension.

what you said is true  but I for got to mention that I purchased these from  lor  looked but found no information on them in their store     thank you for your reply

Blair, if you're using these for a LOR controller with the same connectors, they are just plug in and screw the cap onto them to seal the connection.  

Now if you're using them for NON-LOR, do as Phil stated and use a meter to check each wire in the extender to see that each lines up with the same connection at the other end, then check your pixel board you're using, as well as the input on your light strand.  Then wire the pixels through the extension cables with your data line to the same connection on the LOR extender cable, + 12V on the same connection that runs to the other end of the extender and the - to the 3rd connection on the extender cable and if you use the 4th wire, just make sure it is also the same that's going to the control board.  

Any of those 4 wires can be what you want them to be as long as they mate and match the output of the control board to the input of the light strand.   But remember how you wired them because they may not work on other boards, mark them for the specific control system you using them with the prevent problems in the future.   Always keep those extenders with that particular control system.

As long as your pixels voltages, data line and 4th connection{if used} all go to their own specific connection points at the start of the extender cable, then the output end of the extender should be the same that would plug into your light strand {as long as you followed the light strands input to match the control board output, and you should be fine.

Edited by Orville

Not so fast on the non-LOR extensions as there is more to it then that. On these extensions the plugs come in many different sizes and many do not plug into the LOR plugs. Example: extensions purchased from HC will not fit LOR plugs.

Highly recommend that once you start using the plug-in extensions that you find a dealer and keep using them so the plugs match or you will have to get into measurement specifications.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 5:31 PM, Orville said:

Blair, if you're using these for a LOR controller with the same connectors, they are just plug in and screw the cap onto them to seal the connection.  

Now if you're using them for NON-LOR, do as Phil stated and use a meter to check each wire in the extender to see that each lines up with the same connection at the other end, then check your pixel board you're using, as well as the input on your light strand.  Then wire the pixels through the extension cables with your data line to the same connection on the LOR extender cable, + 12V on the same connection that runs to the other end of the extender and the - to the 3rd connection on the extender cable and if you use the 4th wire, just make sure it is also the same that's going to the control board.  

Any of those 4 wires can be what you want them to be as long as they mate and match the output of the control board to the input of the light strand.   But remember how you wired them because they may not work on other boards, mark them for the specific control system you using them with the prevent problems in the future.   Always keep those extenders with that particular control system.

As long as your pixels voltages, data line and 4th connection{if used} all go to their own specific connection points at the start of the extender cable, then the output end of the extender should be the same that would plug into your light strand {as long as you followed the light strands input to match the control board output, and you should be fine.

I'm using these extensions from my lights to the pixel controller.  The end of the extension is that circular 3-pin cap piece.  What needs to go in the controller are those green pixel connectors shown in the LoR store here:  http://store.lightorama.com/8paofpicofor.html  How do you know which wire goes to which I think is what he (and I) are asking.

• The topic was locked