Light-O-Rama Forums

How many songs do you suggest for a light show.?

lisanewbie

This is my first year using LOR (32 Channels) for my display and have gone mad with light sequencing . I plan to run my show form 6pm to 9pm. How many songs should I use?

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks in advance for you reply and help.

Lisanewbie :?

You will get answers from all over the spectrum on this. In the end you will just have to decide what you want to present for a show. Some people will just have 3-4 songs that loop continuously and others will have 15-20 songs that they change every night.
Me, I have about 10 songs mixed up into about 8 different 7-8 minute shows that play every fifteen minutes. The house goes basically static between the shows with slow color changes short teaser animations on the elements with unsequenced music playing.

Like Brian, it really varies. How much time do you have to sequence vs. normal work and family activities. This year you may only have 4 or 5 songs complete. Next year you'll add another 5 or 6. Do you have an area where people can stop and watch the show for a long period or will it get too crowded. If you want to move the crowd along you may want to have a shorter show so that people leave when it cycles over. Are you using outdoor speakers or an FM transmitter. My first year I did not have a transmitter and did only two shows a night. It was 25 minutes long and ran it at 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm, as I did not want my neighbors to have to hear the music any later. Now I have a transmitter and run a 45 minute show from 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm nightly.

If it is your first year, you may want to keep it simple. Probably a show of 15 minutes might be the maximium, either repeated (if only 1 show), or with a significant break between shows (like another 15 minutes, simple 'animation' sequences as filler) if more than 1 show. The idea is to not turn your street into a 'parking lot' or burn yourself out programming sequences.

Each year, you can enhance your list of songs, as well as adding channels and display elements.

I run 30 minutes of songs in a continous loop. I have zero static as I think there are people that would park it and tie up traffic waiting for the lights to turn back on.

Congrats on your purchase and be sure to share pictures/videos with us.

Last year I did 12 songs. I did all of these...

http://www.freewebs.com/manorchristmas/videos.htm

I used a lot of different songs and am doing the same this year year. I like the fact that people can sit through the show and not hear a song repeated. I do some songs that aren't sequenced to the music, and during the songs I play all the messages. Basically I have about a 45 minute show, and then it plays all over again.

I have about 20 songs that I use ... but I don't want people staying through all 20 because of the traffic issues which might arise (very narrow street).

So after about three songs I have the first one repeat and people think "Oh, that one again ... time to move on" and then three different and one of the earlier ones repeats, same effect.

That's kind of like having a short 4-song show, but over the course of a few hours there is enough variety that the repetition doesn't cause myself or the neighbors to go insane.

Also, on Wednesday night (the slowest night in terms of visitors) I often run all the songs in order without a repeat. Local folks that are interested know that Wednesday is the night to visit for the best experience.

Just another variation on what others have said above.

Thanks for all the replys. You all have given me a lot to think about .

I live on a small street that circle at the end of it. Last year my husband and I purched Light and Sounds of Christmas unit ( that is what started wanting to do a bigger show.)and it didn't seem to cause a problem with traffic, but one thing I will take into account is that with a bigger show maybe bigger turn outs.

We do have a FM transmitter and our neighbors are looking forward to the light show this year.

Next year we plan to take the show out to my daughter's she has 5 acer's to play with ;)

Thanks Again

Lisanewbie