Light-O-Rama Forums

I want to start

aja1216

I was watching some YouTube and ultimately found this site a couple of days ago.

I have a few questions:

• Can I use existing LED xmas lights? I have some that are single color and some that I can control the color.
  • While running the show does my pc need to be hooked up to the controller?
  • What is the LAN Cable for?

Thanks,

AJ

39 minutes ago, aja1216 said:

I was watching some YouTube and ultimately found this site a couple of days ago.

I have a few questions:

• Can I use existing LED xmas lights? I have some that are single color and some that I can control the color.
  • While running the show does my pc need to be hooked up to the controller?
  • What is the LAN Cable for?

Thanks,

AJ

You can use your non dimmable regular Christmas lights. LED or incans. 

Oops fat fingers hit submit.

You can use your computer or one of the minidirectors. LOR has a Residential Starter Package, it includes controller, minidirector, fm transmitter and basic plus (I believe) software. Enough to get you started.

If you are talking about the RS485 adapter its need to send the data single down line at the required speed. Only if using your computer, but it is also required to initially set up the controller.

I am sure someone more technical will reexplain the adapter.

Happy Lighting and welcome to the club./ addiction.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Yes you can "probably" use your existing xmas lights.  However the lights that you have where you can control the color wont work.....at least I dont think they will.  Also depending on the type of lights you have and brand.  For myself I only use GE led light strings.  Since any lights you use you will want full wave (for dimming and fading)

No your PC does not have to be hooked up to a controller if you purchase the mp3 director. http://store.lightorama.com/g3mp3director.html

However if you dont purchase the controller with the director http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html then you will need to connect your pc. 

The LAN cable is what connects your pc to the LOR controller and daisy chained to the next controller and so on and so on.

Others might be able to explain better than I have but hope I helped

Just to clarify on the RS485 adapter, which is used to connect to the PC.

One side of of the adaptor connects to a USB port on your PC and the other has an RJ 45 connector which plugs into the LOR controller via a Cat 5 cable. This is the same kind of cable used for ethernet LAN connections, but it is NOT ethernet and mixing up the two will likely fry something. Do not use the ethernet port on your PC.

Do you have a LOR  conroller such as the ctb 16's?

If not, I don't know that I would be buying contgrolers simple to run some lights "you just have laying around".  If you really want to used the lights, that's fine, buy the appropriate controller.   There's still a plce for 110v incandence/LEDs but but 12v LEDS/Strips and Pixels are getting pretty popular.  As a newbie, need to think about what you longer goal is for a display and then buy hardware accordingly.