Light-O-Rama Forums

Prop Definition

Terry Krause

Ok, I think I'm missing something here.  I'm brand new to sequencing but I've been a software engineer for more than twenty years so I'd like think I can figure out most new software.

My problem is with prop definitions in S5.  When I tree to define a new prop, I select the light (Traditional, color, etc).  Then I select Shape.  If I choose the predefined shape tab, the channels selection is populated with a network channel, such as Unit 01, Start Circuit 1, End Circuit 1. However, when I select the custom (or advanced) shape tab, the channels list is blank.  I can't seem to add or change anything in the channels area.  How do I use a custom shape and assign it a channel for the preview?  Have I missed something?  I've read the manual but it doesn't really say how to add channels with custom shapes.  I've attached two screenshots below.

Thanks. -Terry

screenshot1.PNG

screenshot2.PNG

Terry,

Are you updated to version 5.1.2?  I noticed that your screen captures are not the same as mine.  (version 5.1.2) They made some recent changes in that area and it could be that the update fixed an unknown bug.   I noticed that if I de-select the color for the string, that the channel option becomes unavailable.  (You obviously had it checked as shown in your capture.)   With a check-mark in place for a color, I have channel options available for LOR and DMX in either Traditional or RGB .  Sorry I don't have any screen captures available.

Another thought I had is that if you have only 1 channel that you're using for the prop, lets say a string of white LEDs for the whole outline  ,  you might need to define your custom prop with a Predefined Shape such as Lines connected, or Lines Closed Shape.  Pick the number of lines depending on the number of "bends" that are needed to draw out the shape.  With Traditional selected, you should have one channel to assign.  After you assign the channel, name the prop and save.  You should then have many green points to shift around to design the shape of your prop for that channel.   I could be wrong,  but I believe the custom design is for pixel placement only and if only one square is filled for the channel assignment a person is using, then the shape would not translate to your preview properly.  It would be just one point.   I believe the preview is generated by the number of squares (channels) that are entered over the background image.  I'm thinking the background image isn't then directly used for shaping the prop on the preview but there only as a guide for layout of the squares and their corresponding channels.  By using the Lines connected shape or Lines Closed Shape, you can define a prop for your preview screen using only one channel, but still have the whole outline show up.  Curved lines would require many points for a simulated curve.  Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that you can then enter a background image to make placement of the little green squares easier.   You can also modify the item and add or subtract number of segments as needed.

Thanks for the reply Brad.

I did upgrade to 5.1.2 to see if that fixed anything.  I did notice the UI layout as you pointed out (I personally think the custom and advanced within the list is less user friendly than the tabs).  I've attached an updated screenshot.  As you can see, I get the same result with 5.1.2.  I have the color selected with a custom shape but still no option for the channel.  I've set the custom shape too but it doesn't change anything.  I also looked at the XML file for the sequence and the line that contains the custom shape information is blank.  I tried editing the XML and putting a channel number in that space but when I reloaded the sequence, it didn't make any difference.  If you are able to see the channel number on a custom shape then I may just try reinstalling and see if it's something that didn't get installed properly the first time.  Since I can't make this work, I've resorted to drawing my own shapes with the Lines-Connected but sadly, it looks likes a two year old drew it.  I've since opened a support ticket but have had no reply.

512capture.PNG

512capture_2.PNG

Terry,

Did reloading software work for you?

Are you not able to enter numbers on the squares as shown below?

1363844335_custom1.PNG.f191c8baccae92cd61f1ccb69b19257a.PNG

Saving the above got me this.custom 2.PNG

1937777505_custom5.PNG.115626f893f2e4d9bafe2cbda2dd104f.PNG

1832937816_custom3.PNG.c35654cbf541c981813c5020ed9b16f8.PNG

If I only enter one number, I get this.

1038134683_custom4.PNG.03e340cd51dfdf15b345eb6de76b3299.PNG

Only one number gets me this.

935031816_custom6.PNG.ca18a9ed8a2e019eeb0a2e36ac0ff192.PNG

Using connected lines gets me this but sizing it on the image of your main view means working with each point, but the adjustable magnified view can really help with this.

2052104728_custom7.PNG.a7749ad67555647df179f60e63759fd6.PNG

Edited by Brad Stucky

I just realized that this is the first prop I created in S5 using connected lines.  All my others were imported from the S4 visualizer.  I noticed they import differently and a person is able to size them as a whole rather than dealing with each red square.   That sure is easier.   Hmmmmm....   It has we wondering if I'm missing something myself.

you have to make sure the "Active" box is checked under the 'Auto Number' section on the Custom Tab. With that option, when you click in the grid, it will create a number. If you chose to auto-increment, as if you are adding additional pixels, the numbers will increase sequentially. If not, as if with a single string of lights, all the numbers will be the same. This should result in a channel for each number you add to your grid.

That did the trick!  I was missing the numbers because the active box wasn't checked.  Once I checked active and started clicking the grid, it put the numbers on the grid as Brad illustrated above.  I'm using traditional lights for now so all the numbers are the same.  Once I saved it, it created the channel in the list.  This makes so much more sense now with the numbers on the grid corresponding to the channel numbers.  This is my first time doing any of this but I really wished they would have had a tiny bit of documentation in this area because I was flat out lost.

Thank you to both of you for the help!  This isn't suppose to be a stressful project but not getting the software to do what I wanted was annoying!  Now, on to the real work.

Terry

It never occurred to me that you could enter the same number for defining a prop resulting in a single channel outline.  Duh!!  I was typing the numbers manually just assuming for a pixel prop.  There was something about the auto increment I didn't like.  Probably having to step back and delete because I didn't like my placement of the number or something.  If I remember correctly, I believe if you delete a number, the Auto function doesn't realize it so it just enters the next number, thus skipping the one you erase.  It would also be nice if you had to insert one in the middle of the string, the others would shift down the line or if you took one out, they would shift up the line.  Glad you got it working,  Terry.   Have fun!!  And thanks for the assist, daughjs.