Light-O-Rama Forums

Weird laws still active in Massachusetts

Orville

Massachusetts

In Hingham, you may not have colored lights on your house (if it can be seen from Main Street) – white lights only.

The state outlawed Christmas in 1659.

So how many of you folks are in violation that live in the state of Massachusetts?

If you want to read and see more on this and other states oddball laws that are still active on the books, here's the link to them:

Weird Laws still active in the United States

So find you state and see what idiotic laws are still on the books.   Many of these will make you scratch your head and go, HUH?  or just laugh at how stupid they are!  And there are a lot of really zany and crazy ones.

This should give you folks a good chuckle.

• Like 2

Texas

The state’s law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.

Um, that would shut down this hobby in Texas! 

and this one

In Port Arthur, it is illegal to fart in an elevator.

LOL

In Nelson, Georgia it is the law that every household must possess a gun and ammunition. This isn't an old law as it was just passed last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

In Nelson, Georgia it is the law that every household must possess a gun and ammunition. This isn't an old law as it was just passed last year.

Love that law- let the criminal have the thought of getting led poisoning if they have the wrong intensions while “visiting” your house

JR

2 hours ago, ericm said:

Texas

The state’s law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.

Um, that would shut down this hobby in Texas! 

and this one

In Port Arthur, it is illegal to fart in an elevator.

LOL

The alignment is also an issue on an escalator.  

• Haha 1

When I read that one about Christmas being outlawed in 1659 and still in effect today, makes me wonder why all the Atheists aren't living there, instead of complaining about Christmas everywhere else?    They should all migrate to Massachusetts during that time of year don't you think? LOL 

Seriously though, I can't believe that law was ever created {and I wonder why too}, and is still an active law there today.  Might just have to research this one and see if I can find out why they outlawed Christmas in the first place.

And some other ones I read in many of the other states, including some of my own in Florida, just astounded me, these are still active, but very rarely, if at all, enforced.

Just thought you folks would get a kick out of reading some of these most ridiculous laws still alive on the books still today.   

So many of them in different states would definitely affect how we would decorate for holidays if these archaic laws were actively enforced today, a lot of us would be fined or even incarcerated for some amount to time.

Just be glad even law enforcement today has the good sense NOT to enforce these antiquated or ridiculous laws.

7 minutes ago, Sparky4u said:

In AZ it is illegal to refuse water to a camel.  

Must be a lot of Camels in AZ esp in the dessert.

JR

well I did go and research why Massachusetts banned Christmas, and I think this is one of the best articles {although there are quite a few others out there} that give you the why it happened, and how it actually got repealed.   So why is it still on the law books is a mystery, since it was repealed, that ban/law shouldn't even be on the books today.

Anyway, here's the url if you'd like to read about the History of why Massachusetts {mainly Boston area} banned Christmas:

Massachusetts article on Why Christmas was banned and later repealed.

Enjoy the history lesson for those that enjoy reading this kind of thing.   I found this article very enlightening and informative.

Wisconsin - In Milwaukee, if one is thought of as offensive looking, it is illegal for him to be in public during the day.

I lived in Milwaukee most of my life and had no idea I was breaking the law almost every day that I lived there!  :P

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Orville, you are infatuated with this banning of Christmas thing, you gotta let it go man, you gotta let it go.  ?

No, not infatuated at all.   i just find things like this very interesting and like to know the reason things are done, so sometimes history is a new learning experience.   And I just thought it would be fun to share the info and findings on the how and why it got started and when it should have been taken off the law books, yet, hasn't been.    So I just like to find and read about things like this, and I know there are some folks out here that enjoy this kind of thing too, so just sharing.  Nothing more and nothing less.

If I was infatuated with NOT CELEBRATING CHRISTMAS, I sure as the dickens would not be doing a Christmas display, let alone taking part in those type festivities!

So there's nothing to let go of.

There were three Monks in the monastery who had taken a vow of silence.  The monastery rules allowed for each year, one of them could say a single sentence.   At the end of the first year,  one monk said at breakfast  'I am tired of eating this over cooked oatmeal every day'.    At the end of the second year another monk said.  'Yes, this oatmeal in not very good, what should we do?'.   One year later , the third monk replies.  'I am sick and tired of this constant complaining about oatmeal' . 

• The topic was locked