Light-O-Rama Forums

S5 Pixel Editing - Help!

MikeToo

My setup is very simple.  I have a Pixie16 controller.  I have two strings consisting of 50 smart pixels ea... one attached to PORT1 and the other to PORT2.  I've created a NEW ANIMATION sequence.  In the PREVIEW window I set #channels to 2, default # of motion effect row per props to 1, set to "Use Loops".  Select "Create".  New animation grid appears with two channels:  Unit 01:01 and Unit 01:02.   Pixie16 address is 10.  Double clicking "Unit 01:01" brings up the Prop Definition panel.  Under the "Lights" section I set the Dimming Curve to Linear 60%, select the RGB tab and check "RGB Pixels". In the "Shape" section I select "Matrix-Horizontal-Rectangle", set # of Strings to 1, #Nodes/string to 50 and 0 Folds.  In the "Channels" section I check "Enter a channel on every row" and set the Unit address to 10. The START circuit pre-populates to 1 and the END circuit pre-populates to 150 (which I expected with 50 nodes).  I define the Prop for Unit 01:02 identical Unit 01:01 except for the START circuit (set to 151) and END circuit (set to 301).

The result is a ANIMATION grid similar to one I would see when designing straight incandescent lights.  There are two rows, Unit 01:01 and Unit 01:02.  Each row is a black background with a white cross-hatch.  This is where I lose it!.    Earlier today I was able to expand the Units to their individual channels and then set a color for each.  I could "Play" the animation and the string behaved as I would expect on that channel.  When I duplicated the colors on the Unit 01:02 line, then select "Play", the Unit 01:01 lights worked but the Unit 01_02 lights didn't.  Putzing around trouble shooting the issue I cause the Unit 01:01 lights to stop working.  Have no idea why, nor could I get back to display the individual channels in Unit01_01 as before.  NOW, all that being said, my simple question is this:  When I see the two channels in the Animation grid and they show a white hash on a black background, how do I make the individual channels appear so I can add effects??? 

Edited by MikeToo

First of all your programming is all wrong, port one will have a unit ID of 10 with channels 1-150. The second port will automatically be unit ID 11 with channels 1-150. Make sure you understand how the Pixie's work or you will get very frustrated.

Edited by Mr. P

Thank you!  Good to know... and explains why the second string didn’t light upI thought I had the Pixel Editor in S4 down but S5 is a whole new experience!!!  

1 minute ago, MikeToo said:

Thank you!  Good to know... and explains why the second string didn’t light upI thought I had the Pixel Editor in S4 down but S5 is a whole new experience!!!  

Just remember that Pixies use one unit ID per port with up to 170 pixels or 510 channels. So a Pixie16 uses 16 consecutive unit ID's.

Got it working for two strings of 50 pixels each.  My goal is to have 2 strings with one string of 50 pixels and a second string of 150 pixels.  Is it possible to create a PROP DEF for each string/Port .. for example string 1, Port 1 circuits 1-150 and string 2, Port2   circuits 1-450?  I could just add two more 50 pixel strings to Ports 3 and 4 but the distance from the Pixie16 for these last two ports could be up to 60' away..

One of the downsides of the Pixie controllers is that you can't configure each port, you configure the entire controller. So if you have 50 pixels on port one and 150 pixels on port 2 then you have to configure the controller for the largest port.

Also, you will have to power inject the 150 pixels on port 2 as the Pixie fuses on each port are the limiting factor.

Another early riser!!  Thanks.  I found info in the LOR Pixie16 Manual that indicates the "second generation" boards allow up to 80' between controller and 1st pixel - may have to use power injection so the easiest fix is to just use a Port for each 50 pixel string.